Done.

bankside

Re: YOUR SAY

Post by bankside » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Responded and shared. Thanks Neil H.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:33 pm

Did anybody else feel this survey was a bit weird? There seemed to be a lot of questions about the British Canoeing professionals' influence on our sport. As far as I am aware they aren't involved at all, apart from the flagship internationals. Either Wharton Consulting haven't made much effort to find out how the sport is organised and drawn some massive assumptions, or they have been badly misled.

Mummsie

Post by Mummsie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:08 am

Done - I hope you put them right Dave re input from British Canoeing, particularly from the governing body side of this newly named organisation - would be difficult to get any less input!!!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Agree. Many of the questions were about employed staff running the Sport. The Sport is run together by both employed staff and many many volunteers. There are obviously way more volunteers than paid staff but in terms of contribution, you would expect more from employed staff doing this role full time v Volunteers who are doing this part time. (it would be interesting to know the number of volunteer hours v employed hours).

As I understand it, the funded staff are all employed through GB Canoeing (or similar home nation programs) and run the coaching for the GB and home nation performance squads as well as running the Talent ID squads at HPP and Lee Valley.

The Slalom committee and all the various slalom clubs run the events on the Slalom Calendar as well as introducing paddlers to slalom and running club training sessions.

Many of the volunteers know what could be done to make the sport better but are constrained by time, resources and funding. The employed staff are largely coaches and have a specific remit to coach performance paddlers.

Questions I would like -
Are the employed and volunteer groups working in the best way together?
What is being done well between these areas and what could be done better? e.g. Lee Valley Senior Selection was a joint effort and worked well.
How do we get existing clubs to start slalom , introduce paddlers and start running events. This is the future of the sport.

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Interesting to read those comments, not quite got round to doing the survey just yet as I noticed the deadline is end May. Did have a look at questions though and agree with Dave. I notice an email address for the consulting company. Perhaps they should read this or have pertinent questions raised with them to give them a better insight

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:43 am

Done

Yes - it would be interesting to know where their assumptions come from (Regional Development Teams?)

bankside

Post by bankside » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:45 am

Interesting.
I was thinking about the inconsistencies and inefficiencies of delivering a GB Program through multiple, service delivery units.

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Thu May 15, 2014 10:18 am

Just done this survey and it had me in stiches. Really, they think the paid staff do all that work? I don't think anyone has pointed out that if it were not for the volunteers this sport would not run.

Oh well, I think my responses made it clear that their assumptions were way out!

lesf

Post by lesf » Thu May 15, 2014 1:17 pm

BaldockBabe wrote:Oh well, I think my responses made it clear that their assumptions were way out!
Yes so did my responses

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Thu May 15, 2014 11:15 pm

Mind you, we'll all be well pleased when a bunch of BCU staff pitch up and take over the running of an event. Won't we?

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Fri May 16, 2014 10:16 am

I see a bunch of golden flying pigs going past my window...!!!