Race Safety

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:36 pm

But what do people suggest as an alternative?

Organisers find it hard enough to find people to volunteer to judge and help in control, where would they get rescue boaters from. If they could get the rescue boaters they would need a few as in bad weather (ie Matlock last year) they would not be able to stay on the water for long.

Although not ideal the current system only keeps people on the water for a short time.

Mick h

Post by Mick h » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:35 pm

Maybe the rules should be change to 4 paddlers on the water which gives the paddlers chance to recover so there is ample safety cover. Waiting 4 to 5 minutes after a run will not do anyone any harm.
The people complaining about that it should not be there responsibility to rescue others because they are too knackered are the ones who will appreciate rescue more then anyone if they take a swim 70 seconds into a run.
I took a swim on the Graveyard about 17 years ago when my freeblades snapped it was not a pleasant experience and was grateful for the help.

TOG

Post by TOG » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:22 pm

While no system is perfect - not enough competing paddlers to hand; small paddlers potentially coping with big paddlers; less competent paddlers feeling less able to rescue better paddlers; very tired paddlers not having the energy; paddlers who haven't passed an (as yet) non-existent safety competence test; lack of organising club safety boats as alternative due to pressure on organisers etc - it's still a current rule, and as such must be observed.
Whatever participants feel, they have to comply or accept the consequences. Disqualification doesn't actually hurt, in a physical sense. ???

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:09 pm

I know this is not just a problem at Shepperton.

However, we were aware that this rule was being flouted at Shepperton and kept reminding paddlers over the tanoy.

The problem I have is how do we handle it, do we just pick randomly on a couple of rule breakers and disqualify them, bearing in mind that they won't be the only ones so some will get away with it. Do we try and catch everyone - an impossible task as we are bound to miss someone. I don't believe that the finisher can be responsible for consistently checking this. As for the idea of withholding backup finish times, forget it, we don't transfer all the times to control anyway - there is quite enough to do as it is.

The only thing I can come up with.... is if someone out there who doesn't normally judge feels strongly about this that they volunteer to be the rule checker. This would consist of making a list of anyone not adhereing to the rule which would be passed to me so that we can act on the info. This needs to be done as a proper "job" and apply to all paddlers. Any volunteers are welcome to come and see me at the start of the event next year.

(it also needs to be tempered slightly - I remember a complaint raised about my two not staying on in the C2 at HPP once. What the complainant didn't know was that the spray decks had come off in the muncher and the boat was so full of water that it was sinking fast! If they hadn't got out when they did they would have been swimming in any case.)

However horrific some might find the crosses at Shepperton, the "rescue area" is pretty flat and friendly so anyone in div 1/2 should be capable of acting as a float to get the paddler to shore even if they are smaller that the swimmer or very tired from then run. We do try to provide a rescue boat for the weaker classes, but can't do much because we need the same people to judge.

Of course if more people volunteered to help judge then we could use more of our prem judges to provide safety, but with limited resources we can only do so much!

I've focused on Shepperton for obvious reasons, but much of this probably applies elsewhere too.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:39 pm

If you expect to be rescued surely it is only courtesy to know how to rescue others?

There is a safety assessment its called the Foundation Safety & Rescue Training. There is one advertised on the slalom web site at the moment. Your local bcu rep should be able to advise where this is one near you. They are a prerequisite for any coaches. It will not only teach you how to rescue but how to be rescued, sounds daft but it helps a lot if the person being rescued knows what to expect and how to react.

The safety is there to assist, we assume risk when we sign on.

Official safety boats are sometimes useful but its a thankless task sitting there all day just in case someone swims and on a lot of rivers its just a case of waiting until they get to the bottom which is why you will often see clubs training their paddlers to safely 'swim' slalom courses.

Just MHO of course...

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:08 pm

I would say that the foundation safety and rescue course is almost completely useless in a whitewater environment. I have done the whitewater safety and rescue course, and even that only had a tiny element of boat-based rescue - which is what we asking the competitors to do. It is more useful from a rescuee's point of view, in that at least you learn how to look after yourself when you are swimming down a rapid.

From what I've heard about the Advanced whitewater safety and rescue, it isn't any better there. It's all about ropework and complicated pulley systems, which have little relevence to canoe slalom, or even most recreational whitewater paddling for that matter.

I think that the idea of clubs teaching how to swim rapids is very useful, and if they could add in some boat-based rescue they will have something far more useful to the slalom paddler (and the recreational whitewater paddler) than any of the BCU courses.

NathanF

Post by NathanF » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:05 pm

I went on the white water safety and rescue course, this is an excellent course on that they taught you how to swim offensively and defensively, how to use a throw line etc. I think perhaps this is a worthwhile course for any paddler slalom or not.

Nathan

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm not a big fan of throwline rescues, they have their place, sure, but throwlines are often unsuitable where you have overhanging trees, gate wires, and fast flowing current. Boat based rescue is a lot more flexible. The swimming stuff can be covered in a hour on a rapid on a nice warm day in the summer in standard paddling kit, then an hour or so learning how to rescue from a boat - the great thing about slalomists is that you can assume that they can at least put a boat where they need to. No need for a two day whitewater safety and rescue course, 75% of which most people will never use.

TOG

Post by TOG » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:13 pm

Dee wrote:...do we just pick randomly on a couple of rule breakers and disqualify them, bearing in mind that they won't be the only ones so some will get away with it. Do we try and catch everyone - an impossible task as we are bound to miss someone....
While undoubtedly (depending on resources) some may be missed and get away with it, disqualification sends out a message to them which, so long as organisers are both consistent in their approach and in publicising such decisions, should encourage a closer adherence to the rule book.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:30 pm

Rule 19.7 requires that any competitor whether during run or practice must be prepared to rescue and must respond to any call by an official to do so.
19.8 requires a competitor to remain in their boat within a designated distance from the finish. Unless the Organiser has made other arrangements and specifically instructs that this requirement is negated.

Rule 9.9 places the duty on the Finisher to determine when a competitor has finished the course and to record and transmit any penalties from the Finish

So it is clearly stated in the Rules that the event organiser must set out the pending area at the end of the course and the finisher must report any that fail to adhere to the rules in the Finish area.

And yes if the rule is being disregarded then set-up and pick on a few individuals and disqualify them - the message will soon get out and the subsequent policing will not be required.

jke

Post by jke » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:16 pm

This leaving the course early is widespread. I got told off at Cardington last year when in fact I had waited but later paddlers had not. That made my blood boil. I know Cardington's easy water but it's the principle. Oh, and it's a rule.
John Kent

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:52 pm

But don't forget that the organisers also have a 'Duty of Care' for race safety (pages 84,85 & 86 of the yearbook) not a throwline in sight at the Tryweryn or a safety boat. This is a site used for 5* training/assessment and WWSRC/SWIFT Rescue courses.

It also states that BA's should conform to BS EN 393 1994 and that helmets should conform to BS EN 1385 1997, are these checked? I think not!!

So how about leading by example from the organisers point of view (and don't tell me Prem paddlers don't swim, I have fished plenty out in my time) and when was the last time that helmets or BA's were checked!

This sort of thread appears nearly every year and nothing happens, perhaps when someone gets seriously injured or worse killed then the heads will come out of the sand and action will be taken, won't help the unfortunate victim though!

"“Canoeing and Kayaking are “Assumed risk” – “Water contact sports” that may carry attendant risks. Participants should be aware of and accept these risks, and be responsible for their own action and involvement."

But if at least everyone followed the rules then it would be safer for everyone.

Cheers Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching