Boat Value

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
James Prowse

Post by James Prowse » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:43 pm

Just a quick question,

Would moving the footrests in a boat, ie drilling new holes, lower the value of a boat?

kendall chew

Post by kendall chew » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:52 pm

Drilling holes in the boat is likely to lower the boat in the water and this will lower the value. International salvage rights may be invoked.

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:05 pm

Kendal. I beg to disagree. Providing the holes are above the water line they will lighten the boat and it will thus sit higher in the water. Don't take it anywhere too rough.

James. It might lower the value slightly, but what choice do you have?

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:10 pm

I don't need holes in a boat to sit low.

Does it make a difference how big the holes are?

Also if you go down with the boat it is detrimental to your health although it could be declared a grave and thus prevent salvage; at least that's my understanding of maritime law - someone may know better.

Oh wait - a submarine has holes in. I believe they have a pressure hull with 2 saddle tanks running the length of the hull. Water can be forced out by compressed air. Before the season starts you could experiment with this on a boat and it would make for some interesting judging decisions if only the periscope went through the gate. Torpedoes could be utilized to literally sink the opposition.

Rent Das Boot over New Year to get a feel for it!

Dive, dive, dive!

ps - beaver

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:13 pm

Dave Royle wrote:Providing the holes are above the water line they will lighten the boat and it will thus sit higher in the water. Don't take it anywhere too rough.
How many holes can you drill before it is classified as an open boat.

When you say rough I assume you mean Chelmsford town centre

jke

Post by jke » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:18 pm

James Prowse wrote:Just a quick question,

Would moving the footrests in a boat, ie drilling new holes, lower the value of a boat?

Just do it. Your footrest needs to be in the right place. I taped mine up 3 or 4 years ago as a temporary measure but the tape's still there.
John Kent

roodthomas

Post by roodthomas » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:16 am

As long as the previous holes are adequatly filled then I cant see it making much difference (If the person who wants the boat is shorter than the boat was set up for).

With regard to the difference in how the boat sits in the water, it will depend on the make of boat and its hull shape. i.e if the boat is non-plaining then it sits in the water, if it is plaining then it sits on the water. Moving the footrests won't realistically effect the boats performance. As long as its comfortable, thats all that really matters!

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:31 pm

It wouldn't bother me if a boat I was buying had been drilled twice, though I might just mention it if I could pursuade the seller to reduce the price a little.

ps. I want one of these magic planing boats that sit on the water.

James Prowse

Post by James Prowse » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:48 pm

Thanks all.

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Re only the periscope above water: it's a perfectly clear cut judging decision.
32.1 It is considered a capsize when the head of the competitor is entirely under water.

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Nick Penfold wrote:Re only the periscope above water: it's a perfectly clear cut judging decision.
32.1 It is considered a capsize when the head of the competitor is entirely under water.
Oh blast these pesky rules I would like to have seen that