Paddle options

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Neilo

Post by Neilo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:45 pm

Hi there,

now that the season is under way, thoughts are wandering onto what kit is next for change.

I wonder if I could gather some views on choices of paddles (K1). Specifically on:

* your height (and possibly arm length) and
* the length of paddle you use, then
* what feather (am right handed) ?

Finally, any make / model / construction or other information that may be useful. I am only considering straight shafts (too old to change !).

Hope you can be of help. Thanks in anticipation.

Neil.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:23 pm

I am 5ft 4, use 197 length Double Dutch kinetics set at 70 degrees.

MikeR

Post by MikeR » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Lettmann Ergonom Pros for me 204cm 52 degree feather, cranked.
Strongest paddles on the market, but heavy, and lack 'feeling'. Monocoque construction (continuous blade/shaft) for extra stiffness and strenth. The straight version is called 'Profile'

Have used:

GPower Twisters, 202cm, 52 degree feather, cranked.
Strong paddles, though with weakness in areas. Light and stiff, but with reasonable 'feeling'. Again monocoque construction. The straight vesion is called 'Wave Pro'. Have a very sudden catch, which is good if you can handle it (unlike me :( )

Raab Typ Pisvejcs on a Double Dutch Power Crank. 204cm, 52 degree feather, cranked. Light blades (I assume you won't want to know about the shaft :cool: ) with good build quality +strong tips, though generally weak. May flutter a bit, and have an odd transition in to bow rudders (imo)

I can give you loads more info if you want it, but these are the paddles I have personally used :D

General Flangecustard

Post by General Flangecustard » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:14 pm

I am 5'5'' 64kg Arm length from the tip of my middle finger to shoulder joint is 69cm (before you say it I know I have short arms)
I use rabb pisvejc (cranks) 200cm set at 45 degrees. Very good, very light, well made but due to their lightness they are not the strongest.

WM

RussJohnson

Post by RussJohnson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:04 pm

i'm 5'9", shoulder to finger tip length of 74cm.

i currently use Vadja Storm paddles, one of the more expensive types of paddle around. Also they do only come in Crank shaft

they are lengthed at 208cm and have a feather of 25degrees. (i prefer shallow angle paddles and have always used low angles)

the are moulded full carbon paddles with a aluminium tip.

the are light, but not as light as the RAAB's. they are very strong and durable. (but they are only 4 months old)

i would recommend these. but like i said they are expensive.

if you want cheaper, but reliable and strong. i would say Double Dutch Kinetics. my last set of paddles were these at 196cm in length. they were previously owned by Fi Pennie. i still have them and they have very little damage at all.
Russell Johnson
HALIFAX Canoe Club - West Yorkshire Canoe Club

Neilo

Post by Neilo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks for the comments and suggestions so far. Would I be right in thinking that paddles for slalom tend to be longer that those used in river running and playboating?

Does anyone use a feather of 90 degrees? I recently used some and found them suprisingly efficient on turns (cross bow rudders) but awkward in straight lines (guess I'm used to lesser angle of feather). I currently use Werners and like the feel, durability and lightness. I have had trouble with other shafts in the past so is there a comparative shaft in a slalom paddle?

Perhaps I need to try out other peoples ?

Thanks for your help.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Yes, I gather playboaters and river runners have much shorter paddles. My Rough Stuff paddles used for river running are 194 compared to 197 and I gather they could be a bit shorter.

The Double Dutch are very light like Werners but they have a smoother shaft (I use wax to get a grip but others use sandpaper to roughen the shaft). I think the main difference is that most Werners are glass(?) so will generally wear down at the ends whereas Double Dutch and other similar paddles are Carbon/ Kevlar and will chip/ snap at the ends.

The power from the Double Dutch blades is much greater than from the Werners I have tried, so they do feel very different in the water.

I would seriously try out others before you buy, even if it is only on flat water. Most of the paddles people have talked about on this thread are way to expensive to buy on a hunch!