Smoking courseside

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Kazz

Post by Kazz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:53 pm

:( The comments with regard 'to move away' were never intended to be offensive just a statement of fact. I sometimes feel that we all get on our soapbox and get carried away and when we look at the bigger picture is it really worth the agro? As previosuly stated I have never smoked but appreciate that it is an extremely addictive habit otherwise nobody above the age of 15 woukld chose to do it ???
I'm sorry if Paddlemum has taken offence but surely as this is a forum then we should be able to express our views
Just out of interest following the posts about smoking I haven't seen anyone smoking course side so maybe Paddlemum should be congratulated of her success
:) :

Lord Lucan

Post by Lord Lucan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:45 pm

If smoking is setting a bad example to athletes and they are 'tempted' to smoke then they are not very serious.
so where do you draw the line on what is/is not acceptable in a public place? i dont smoke and dont like been in smokey places but outside i dont have a problem if i catch the odd whiff of smoke - look on the posotive side if smoking was banned Brown would need to replace a LOT of tax revenue.......

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:25 pm

I'm sure I noticed in the year book that advertising of smoking related products on boats is banned, unless I've got it wrong and it ain't.
Anyway, it seems to me that if it's recognised that advertising could reinforce that smoking is ok then what is the act itself doing.
Recently, I was at at an event where I observed someone smoking courseside next to my son, J12, who was judging at the time. I don't know how long they'd be there and they soon moved off but that ain't the point. I have to say if I saw this again am I supposed to confront it or remove him from judging if it gets a negative reaction.
Clearly there is enough knowledge out there that this is detrimental to health of adults let alone juniors.
Isn't it far and away time that something is done. In the very least organisers could put up a sign politely requesting that people refrain from smoking where young people are present.
Just because some people smoke in front of their own children it doesn't make it right they inflict it on others.
I realise it's contentious and all but there it is.