Who likes team events? I know i do!

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Nicky

Post by Nicky » Thu May 27, 2010 12:04 am

Would anyone else like to see the return of team events to prem races and div 1s? on alternate days i.e. div 1 and prem teams sat, and vice versa or team events at the end of the day, or is it too much hassle for not many people to want to enter?

what do you reckon, I'd enter...

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu May 27, 2010 7:21 am

Yes please!! Team events are fun :D
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

MikeR

Post by MikeR » Thu May 27, 2010 8:20 am

I'll encore that! If you ask me team events are great fun, not only for the paddlers, but spectators aswell!

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu May 27, 2010 10:02 am

At some events I think there is a problem with time available.

An idea ..........

Instead of having judges runs have a judges team event.

Free entry in return for judging, no individuals judges event. Competitors can enter as a team (3 judges!) or be allocated to a team by the organiser.

Would this attract or deter potential judges? Is it allowed within the rules?

Should this be buried in a deep hole with most of my ideas or is it one of the rare few that deserves the light of day.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu May 27, 2010 12:05 pm

Dee wrote:Instead of having judges runs have a judges team event.

Free entry in return for judging, no individuals judges event. Competitors can enter as a team (3 judges!) or be allocated to a team by the organiser.

Would this attract or deter potential judges? Is it allowed within the rules?
I am in favour of team events in general. If they are for fun and giggles (like at Matlock) they could run during protest time which would keep those of us on Start/ Finish/ Judging from getting bored!!! If to be taken seriously then you might have to chat with timing/ judges first as it would extend the day (which, for the timing bods who set up and deal with results etc is long enough at the best of times)...

It would also be great to see them at the lower division events (like at Matlock) as people get more time on the water, get to know each other and get more experience... CP - how about at the next Orton Mere event...?

Dee - Although good fun I think that would deter potential judges as many at Prem/ 1 events use their official's run as a "practice" on the water (especially on the Saturday)...

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Thu May 27, 2010 12:58 pm

:D I ran a mixed team event (any class any division) at the Viking event at Cardington last May (2009) It was good fun and enjoyed by those the took part.
Jim

Carlr

Post by Carlr » Thu May 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Put me down for team runs any day lets bring back a bit of fun to racing. We have open teams on the Saturday at Harefield after the main event, always good fun to watch and race in.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu May 27, 2010 5:06 pm

Carlr wrote:Put me down for team runs any day lets bring back a bit of fun to racing. We have open teams on the Saturday at Harefield after the main event, always good fun to watch and race in.
Though a bit embarracing when your club treasurer goes throught the gates 1... 2... 4... 5... 6... 7 (wrong way)... 8... like ours did the last time we were at Harefield!!! :D

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Thu May 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Another bonus to team runs! just follow the guy infront and blame him if he gets the course wrong!:D

General Flangecustard

Post by General Flangecustard » Thu May 27, 2010 8:46 pm

I would love to see team runs at div 1 events. I have never done a team run but I think it would be lots of fun.

WM

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu May 27, 2010 9:26 pm

Munchkin you were not listening, we ARE doing teams at the next Orton Mere.

Kate's idea, and announced at prize giving, or were you too busy eating cakes?
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu May 27, 2010 10:34 pm

Nope, just giving you a chance to mention it on here :-P

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun May 30, 2010 7:45 pm

So are there going to be teams at Abbey Rapids?

General Flangecustard

Post by General Flangecustard » Sun May 30, 2010 8:32 pm

It says there is an open team event on the saturday.

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Mon May 31, 2010 5:26 pm

Yes there'll be open team event on Saturday afternoon after the main event. Anyone can enter, and we'll be taking entries on the day...

This wasn't an attempt to advertise, but it looks like we're doing a decent job!

Nicky