Southern D3 slaloms in 2011 - So few???

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
andya

Post by andya » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Just looking at the Div3 calendar and it seems as well as Loddon, we have also lost Harefield

It also seems like the proposed div 2/3 events at Lee Valley (and Dobbs Weir .. or did I dream that?) are not there.

Such a shame if that's right ....

This leaves my son with ...
South - Cardington x2, Shepperton
West - Langham, Llandysul x2, Ogmore

And as an aside, with so few events we can get to. It is disappointing that three we would have gone to (Ironbridge, Sheppeton, Ogmore) are the same weekend.
Andy
(D1 K1 1981, D2 C1&C2 2010)

Carlr

Post by Carlr » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:02 pm

andya,

As one of the organisers of the Harefield slalom for the last couple of years we felt that due to the disappointing level of entries last year that it maybe worth giving Harefield a miss for the 2011 season. The previous years we have had over 100 + entries each day but last year we had less than half that number each day. We are not in it to make money but to run the slalom still requires a financial outlay that the Club has to commit too and also needs to at least break even which we just managed, one of the main problems is that no one in the lower divisions seems to want to send there entries in before the required time but will just turn up and enter on the day. As an organiser you then have no idea if anyone is going to turn up and compete (as happened at a slalom last year, apart from officials). This is I feel because there are so many Div 3 and 4 slaloms around this time of the year that people just pick and choose which events to go to maybe the calendar is getting a bit saturated with events.

There is still a possibility for the Harefield slalom to be run this year maybe over 6th 7th August as the rules have been relaxed. If it is we will post on here.

Cheers Carl

andya

Post by andya » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Cheers Carl

Enjoyed it this year, hope you do decide to run this year

andy
Andy
(D1 K1 1981, D2 C1&C2 2010)