STOLEN

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Nicky

Post by Nicky » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:03 pm

2 polo boats have been stolen from my house in darlington, both tied on my car at my parents house in darlington.

1 Kevlar Carbon Raptor and my Top Spec Nomad Force, Carbon inside and out in as new condition.

Please get in touch if anyone tries to sell either of these boats

Nicky

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:13 am

Having had a boat stolen a couple of years ago, I know what this feels like. Very sorry to hear this. However, I also know that the paddling community will rally round and do just as you have asked. Mine was located 2 miles from my home by the police so, if this is the case with you, you need to report the theft so that they know who to contact if they turn up.

I'm sure there is a market for a boat lock, even for use on the roofrack. Seems these oiks will nick anything. It cannot be anyone who will actually use them for polo - they would know that they would get collared as soon as they hit the water! I am reliably informed that these idiots nick anything that they can sell on to pay for their nest "fix". I'm sure that nobody actually nicks a kayak with the intention of using it for themselves - unless its just for a grim in whch case, both the boats and the idiots will probably be found in a nearby river.

These must turn up someplace, obviously check Ebay regularly. Please let us know when they turn up - and the story that goes with the recovery :-)

Peter
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

kendall chew

Post by kendall chew » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:43 am

Re: Spidermans' comment regarding boat locks

Long steel hawser with a loop at one end and a ball at the other. Feed the hawser through the gap between the seat and the hull, feed ball through loop, pull tight and close the balled end between the door and body of the car.

It works really well. I destroyed a bike on the motorway once when it came off the back of the car- it remained attached, although the tanker driver I passed as I veered onto the hard shoulder was not too impressed.

You can buy these boat/ kit locks in boating shops and on ebay. Sorry if the above sounded like a "Bolt the door after tha horse has gone " type comment, it's not meant to be. I keep my lock safely in the garage all the time so it won't get rusty on the top of my car!!!

Armageddon

Post by Armageddon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:00 am

Guys,
These are expensive and i haven't tried them but they look to solve the problem, they came over from Aus a few years ago!

http://www.stickprotection.com/pro_surf.htm

the cheapest i have found on the web is:
http://www.surfinghardware.co.uk/Details.cfm?ProdID=625

SPT Lockable Rack Straps

The SPT Surf Lockable Tie Down has been designed to secure up to three shortboards or two longboards to any roof rack system and has been constructed using the following:
• 33mm U.V stabilized webbing
• 2 x hardened stainless steel cables
• Soft Santoprene protective casing
• Polished die cast buckle
• Weather resistant lock with dust shutter
• Sizes 1.5m 2.5m 4.0m
They are used in exactly the same way as conventional tie down straps and have been designed for use on any secured roof rack system. The straps Incorporate two hardened stainless steel cables and finely stitched 33mm webbing making them virtually impossible to cut. These straps are fastened to the roof racks of the vehicle and are secured through an extremely strong die cast buckle.
Of course no system will completely stop the most determined thieves but it'll certainly make your car better protected than the one next to it in the carpark. The system is designed to lock the straps under tension to prevent the boards sliding out so the only way to remove them is to cut the rack bars... !!!!
Click here to find out more.
Price List:
£25.00 1.5m
£44.00 2.5m
£48.00 4.0m

Hope this helps!

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi
This type of boat lock.
(Long steel hawser with a loop at one end and a ball at the other. Feed the hawser through the gap between the seat and the hull, feed ball through loop, pull tight and close the balled end between the door and body of the car.)
Has been on the market for at least 30 years I sold them when I ran a canoe shop - they were made by Lynn Badger's dad. I may still have some kicking around in my garage is any one is interested.
Jim

???

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:08 pm

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... earch=true

I found one of these in B & Q once and have always had it in my car. The thing I like about it is it doesn't have a loop or anything similar at one end and it seems easier to thread through a seat or suchlike. Quite cheap and it cinches in tight. I have managed to secure two boats with the one lock with this.

Just something to make the idiots move on somewhere else I suppose

Plenty of choice

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:13 pm

Don't think that worked so try typing Python into the B & Q website

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:15 pm

There you go Fup Duck

Link to Python from B & Q
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Ta, I'm such a technophobe.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:11 am

Update Nicky? At least good to see that your post has generated a useful topic on locks. You gotta lurve the internet :-)
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:32 pm

nothing to report other than the generosity of clubmates!

One of the lads has given me his second boat! :D

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 am

Spiderman wrote:At least good to see that your post has generated a useful topic on locks.
The locks can be portaged.

Someone might cut your locks off anyway. It happened to me - mind you it was a particularly bad hair cut in the mid-seventies so I probably deserved it.

However, I know that Lox could be useful. I think it's some sort of kosher salmon. If you filled a boat with it no-one would take it (or possibly lift it)

I keep thinking of Dr Seuss

Fox on box
Fox in socks on box with locks

And once in a while being stupid comes good and you fall on your feet. Behold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9sIT6P_05I
you just have to watch this - I dare you not to laugh

kendall chew

Post by kendall chew » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:15 am

Not sure we were looking at the asme Lox vid there

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:43 am

Seventies classic?

kendall chew

Post by kendall chew » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:14 pm

No. Vid on the destructiveness of liquid O2.

Sorry about the mashed word order in the last post