Strategy - What do you want covered?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 am

OK here goes.

I have the responsibility to get a strategy defined that will support the development of the sport and ensure that we maximise the benefits of the wee events in 2012.

We have some volunteers to give of their opinion, and effort however this is YOUR sport and you should have a view, pet topic, concern, issue - whatever. I / We want to hear anything that you think is relevant useful or indeed what we have got wrong (hopefully nothing as yet as we have not put anything out there!).

Please post here. Tell your friends & even enemies -all are welcome. You can eMail me at Peter@limekilns.plus.com or catch me at races - I will often either be timing or freezing on start or finish! If you want to contribute confidentially that is fine and will be respected.

We need a strategy that is looking to the next two years in detail but also explores elements further out over about five years. It also needs to be living and evolving as it must be responsive to changing needs. We will have a draft at the next ACM but clearly need much of the structure defined long before that. Once we have early drafts we will share them.

If you don't participate then hopefully you will not complain if we get it wrong (well I can live in hope)!

Thanks for reading this far!

Peter ???

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:41 am

I firmly believe that no playing about with the ranking system is going to make any significant difference to our sport. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the ranking system as it stands and therefore it should be left alone. What we need is more coaches and more training sites.

We need therefore to identify people that are willing to give up a couple of nights a week to coach, and then we need to give them the tools and the training so that they have the confidence to do this coaching. The coaching has to be targetted at juniors, though this should not be achieved by excluding adults - they are the coaches of the future and should be encouraged.

The coaches also need training sites. Ideally the site should have permanent training gates, but this is not always possible due to issues with sharing sites with other users or vandalism. A good system can get a set of 6 gates up in less than 10 minutes. Also lighting has to be considered, as training will be in the dark for half the year. I have long had the belief that all paddlers should be able to access their local training site with less than 1/2 hour journey.

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:43 pm

Brilliant to have strategy work commencing. I wonder though what the aims are for the strategy? A big growth in participation at all levels? A total focus on the production of an elite top end feeding potential Olympic champions? National versus regional events? More events, less events, quality of water, more competitive water time, doubles, singles, team events etc etc?

Perhaps there should firstly be consensus on where we want our sport to be in 2 and 5 years time and from this will fall out any changes that might be required.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi Dave - thanks, coaching is clearly critical and your comments are welcome. Access within half an hour Mmmn... that might be a little difficult in some areas of the country but accept in principle.

In respect of the ranking system, as far as I am concerned we are starting with a blank sheet and do not have a requirement to tinker with the ranking system. If the consensus is that it is not broke then I would strongly oppose messing with it however there are others that have a different opinion and we need to consider all views. For the moment I intend to sit on the fence over this one.

Hi Paul - aims, in part that is up to you (generic you) and happy to hear thoughts. In simple terms could I suggest some basic ideas:
- increasing participation (the more involved the better the top of the pyramid gets)
- ensuring that the sport is run fairly and appropriately, organisation, timing, judging etc. (before anyone jumps to conclusions this does not mean I think it isn't now, but if we increase participation the load gets bigger and needs ot be catered for). For example the ACM decision (which I am happy to support) added four Div 1 races back into next years calendar and yes I will be trekking down to Shepperton from Scotland to help with timing.
- ensuring that the sport is financially viable - its pretty marginal at the moment!
- ensuring that the spin off from the olympics which can be expected to increase interest can be responded to and that the outcome is longer term increases in participation.

Personally I think that it is the responsibility of the performance coaches and funding to identify and deal with future champions. While this has importance to the starategy and cannot be ignored I would rather see more focus on ensuring the health of the sport as a whole right down to Div 4 level. This does not mean that we do not need to ensure the quality of competition at the top levels. Unless of course YOU want to tell me otherwise!

Peter

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:38 pm

how about a series of slalom-X races like were held at the end of the pan celtic at hpp this summer. I thought it was the most fun i'd had in a slalom boat for ages. Tag one of those on the back of 4/5 prems a year and see if it takes off?

They seem easy enough to organise, names in a hat, 6 single down stream poles, 60 seconds, 4 at once, top 2 go through to the next round. Perhaps the use of face guards and polo ba's would be an improvement and a good idea to be learnt from the summer but i thought it was brilliant.

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:44 am

I would start out by making the assumption that the sport wants to encourage increased participation at all levels. Given this then accessibility of the sport at all levels has to be key. This means, to my mind, not just acessibility of coaching, but access to events and moving water at all levels in all areas. So I think that any form of strategy needs to look at whether or not we should restrict/encourage more events. Should we be encouraging committee/ experienced organisers to hand over their established events to the less experienced and then to go and establish new events at different sites? Thus increasing events, venues and variety. Or should we narrow the range so that venues are all of a similar type and results can be easily compared.

As a sport we need pressure on the powers that be to provide access at an affordable rate to the new purpose built sites in Cardiff and Broxbourne

Whilst the ranking system works for measuring success. We also need to think about progression on water levels and whether these two areas should be linked or not
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:57 pm

In developing a strategy we are in danger of putting the cart before the horse. First we must define our vision - where do we see slalom in 1,2,5,10 years time.

From that we define our key objectives. Then we need to assign responsibility and develop the strategy to achieve that objective.

So for example if our view is that we will produce the worlds top paddlers for the next 5 years. Then the objective is to continue to develop top end performance athletes, the responsibility rests with Team GB and the Coaching and Performance Directors - the strategy should actually be their decision but could involve consultation with other parties to define stakeholders, interfaces and supporting objectives and strategies.

My vision:
Team GBR remain in a leading contender on the Global stage
UK develop, establish and host a major International slalom event on an Annual Basis
UK National teams are developed and utilised to provide the proving ground for young athletes, with the Pan-Celtic series to full International Rules and standards
A domestic ranking system that encourages paddlers to develop and perform to their ability,
the top level should be to international standards
the remaining levels will allow a range of paddler ability and devleopment on a range of water standards
Events should be hosted throughout the UK so that travel is not a barrier to participation
Paddlers are encouraged to step up or remain at the standard they are comfortable performing at
A Coaching system that seeks to encourage and facilitate volunteers to participate. Fast track those with ability but without the need for expensive (in time and cost) training courses and assessments
Continued growth in participation levels, matched with expansion of available sites and events

As they say - digest and discuss....

CD

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:27 am

I get what you are saying Seedy, but I think you have everything upside down. Your last line
Seedy Paddler wrote:Continued growth in participation levels, matched with expansion of available sites and events

should be the first. If you increase participation levels then everything else falls into place.

As you say it is the responsibility of Team GB to develop top end athletes, if the sport as a whole is not providing the quality of paddlers they require they will be unable to deliver athletes able to win medals. Given the low participation in this country, we seem to do astoundingly well in international competition, which would suggest that we are already very good at developing what we have. This is why I believe that if we want to continue to make our mark on what is a growing sport internationally, it is very important that we grow the sport domestically.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:03 am

Apologies Dave - I should have been more specific.

The visions described is in no particular order, by digest and discuss, I mean have a think, add your views, set priorities and identify popular agreement.

At the end we should have an idea for future vision, an idea on current status, selection of priorities we can then define strategies to move from one to the other. We can focus on priority items and low hanging fruits (e.g. Team GB seems to be performing so perhaps that irrespective of priority it is a low hanging fruit and easy to formalise the strategy).

Fundamental failure on my behalf to state that - but then I was getting grief from her indoors for surfing the web and not writing family christmas cards.... :;):

CD

Fup Duck

Post by Fup Duck » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:41 am

Ahhh families at Christmas, the season of good will!

One word for the missus, Moonpig - surfing and cards the best of both worlds.

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:50 am

However, Dave, Craig is right ...

The problems about defining 'increased participation' as our overriding vision are:

(i) that nobody could disagree with it, so it is no use as a guide to decision-making.

(ii) much more seiously, that we do not as a sport know what we mean by increased participation. So we use a 'fudge' measure which values equally 29 extra paddlers doing 1 race a year, and 1 extra paddler doing 29 races a year.

However the measures needed to attract 29 extra paddlers doing 1 race a year are likely to be very different from the measures needed to attract 1 extra paddler doing 29 races a year.

And that is why we need to start from Craig's first line: deciding what we want our sport to look like in 5 or 10 years' time.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:07 pm

But agreeing measures of increased participation doesn't do anything to increase participation so why waste time thinking about it? If we can all agree that what we need is increased participation (by which I'm sure we can also all agree that we want more individuals racing slalom), let's just get on with achieving it. It doesn't take too much study to identify the barriers to increased participation, the time would be better spent overcoming those barriers, and the sooner the better. If we're still discussing our strategy this time next year it will be too late.

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:46 am

Agree with Dave.

I think it's a given that we want increased participation - so how do we get it?

Given the situation locally here, the answer is more coaches - before we had no coaches locally and zero participation now we have coaches - lots of participation and it's growing.

Dynamic coaches would appear to be the key and enthusiastic parents who will help and fund raise to put in lights, stanchions - even on a strip of flat water - it gets kids into boats and trying out slalom.

1 - more local club coaches supported by SCA, BCU, CANI, WCA - whoever the local body is with training and costs of training

2 - Appreciation and encouragement of local volunteers - to help with all things slalom - fund raising, helping with sites networking with parents who have specific skills that lend themselves to whats happening. A thank-you goes a very long way.

3 - Creating an ethos with the paddlers themselves to get stuck in and do things - so that they get a sense of ownership rather than having everything done for them (particular bug bear of mine not just slalom specific!). Could range from physically helping with courses and with younger paddlers to things like sponsored paddles to raise money for club boats equipment etc So maybe some form of volunteer ideas pack might help? There is plenty of material out there from other organisations that do this successfully.

But going back to my first point - coaches are key and they need support to be able to deliver.

kendall chew

Post by kendall chew » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Just a thought; fresh participants to the realm of paddle sport may be harder than converts from other disciplines such as Polo or Playboating. If we want to increase participation might it not be worth converting the already interested before we reach outside the paddle community? They will at least have some equipment. A series of invites to "other" local clubs might produce a controlable increase in slalom paddler numbers ahead of 2012. If we do not have the boats or facilities available we will find ourselves shooting the corporate foot.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 pm

It seems easy enough to find youngsters willing to have a go but as soon as they (and their parents) realise what is involved in travelling to events then they vapourise.

Should we be considering running slaloms for unaccompanied youngsters? (she ducks below the parapet as all the responsibility and regulations cannon ball comments come hurtling towards her)
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!