History of Slalom Boats - can anyone help add to this list...

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:57 pm

When I met David he was paddling an Equipe 79 which somehow survived a number of moves, going in and out of store with our furniture, even though it wasn't being used. He started using it again (along with his wooden paddles) when Forbes took up paddling. We only got rid of it a few years ago when David bought a shorter boat. I think it went to Peterborough (post-fire?), but I can't remember that bit for sure
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:47 am

??? After my 2 sons were competing in slalom in home made Snipes we orderd 2 Shadows from Haze Enterprises of Wootton Bassett August 1978 - They were Diolene Hulls with Kevlar Patches and fitted with failsafe footbars, total price for the 2 £168.75 those were the days.
Jim

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:13 am

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread and felt I just had to add my bit to it.

Grew up at Stangerthwaite on the Lune where Lakeland C.C used to organise a 2nd div. slalom during the 60's and early 70's. Some of you may remember being towed out of the field by a lad on an old grey Fergy tractor, that was me!

First slalom boat was a Jaycee Merano followed by a Jaycee Cougar that cost £35. In 1969 went with Alan Edge and his dad to the Pyrenees to do the Noguera Pallerasa. The trip was organised by Lakeland Canoe Club and felt like a major expedition into the unknown in those days!

Moving to the Midlands in 1974 I joined Stafford and Stone C.C. In 75 and 76 managed to get into div 1 then spent many years in div.2 paddling a Jaycee Streaker which I have still got.

Last slalom boat I had was an Arrowcraft Image 85, beautiful looking boat, which I managed to win a couple of slaloms in. Have just sold it on Ebay!

I have a number of old photos from the 60's of the slaloms at Stangerthwaite and will put a link to them when I get them uploaded. If you competed there you may be on one of the photographs. I also have some old start lists and result lists which I will also put up.

Phil Stevo

Post by Phil Stevo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:29 pm

There was also the Feshie, named after the Scottish river. It was designed and built by Ray Petit and the students of Askham Bryan College. This was my first boat circa 1973. It was a kind of cut down KW7.

And don't forget the remarkable Popyak - a boat before its time with high bows and cut down stern. The mould of the Popyak was built in my mate's mother's garage. We ripped the hull off my new Olymp 6 for the bottom half of the mould. We then filled this with expanding foam that was then cut to shape for the deck mould.

Unfortunately when we left the mould strung up in the garage roof a fair bit of resin dripped on to the roof of my mate's mum's brand new Datsun - happy days!

Phil

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:14 am

I've got a new one for the list, prompted because Paul Whittaker has got back into his and is back in training.

Galasport Shubak C1, 1993 I'd guess.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:14 pm

Kevin wrote:then spent many years in div.2 paddling a Jaycee Streaker which I have still got.
Crikey Kevin, I thought I had the only one of those! I still had it up to April 2011 by which time it had lost the small amount of strength it was made with and it took a short trip for a long stay in the tip :-( It would have been better in a slalom museum but as no such place exists (despite some of us thinking we have a good portion of one in the shed!) it had to go. I tried to find a home for my Michwoods too but there was no interest even for free! I could not sling those works of art though so I brought them for a long vacation in Asia :-)

Next time I get my result sheets out from the 70's I will look for a "Kevin"...might be easier if we knew the surname though :-)

Cheerz,

Peter Parker
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

Kevin

Re:

Post by Kevin » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:03 am

Spiderman wrote:
Kevin wrote:then spent many years in div.2 paddling a Jaycee Streaker which I have still got.
Crikey Kevin, I thought I had the only one of those! I still had it up to April 2011 by which time it had lost the small amount of strength it was made with and it took a short trip for a long stay in the tip :-( It would have been better in a slalom museum but as no such place exists (despite some of us thinking we have a good portion of one in the shed!) it had to go. I tried to find a home for my Michwoods too but there was no interest even for free! I could not sling those works of art though so I brought them for a long vacation in Asia :-)

Next time I get my result sheets out from the 70's I will look for a "Kevin"...might be easier if we knew the surname though :-)

Cheerz,

Peter Parker
Does that make my Streaker the only one left in the world!!

You should have your Michwoods on display, they are a work of art.

Kevin Carruthers