Payment for Races

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
TobyLerone

Re: Payment for Races

Post by TobyLerone » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:30 pm

djberriman wrote:If we were to accept online payment for our event then I'd simply set up a paypal account and accept payments, after the event I would submit the money to the club just like we do cash and cheques. There would be a perfectly good audit trail for all monies received. I don't really see what the issue is. As long as people send it via paypal as a personal payment there are no charges. If they choose to use a debit card or credit card when making the payment they would of course be charged but that is their choice.

Problem with any central system is that it needs administering and that probably means a paid position when you take into account the amount of work it would take each week.

Whilst we still need entry cards I'd guess this is pretty much a non starter anyway.
I agree, should someone be happy with transferring the money over that is fine. As you said there is a charge if it's done via the PayPal interface rather than a personal transfer.

John do you have any updates, I'm keen to give my time if it's required?

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:53 pm

I accepted electronic payments for Tully races this year as I said I would at the ACM. The grand total of two entries ~1% were paid for this way!! I think you can draw the conclusion that many are still happy with last centuries solution.

We refund fees, or rather we don't bank cheques, for any paddlers that withdraw more than 24 hours before the event. This is easy and is more hassle to do electronically. Additionally many paddlers send off blocks of entries and if paying electronically would be charged all at once. This does not happen with the current cheque system.

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:16 pm

djberriman wrote:If we were to accept online payment for our event then I'd simply set up a paypal account and accept payments, after the event I would submit the money to the club just like we do cash and cheques. There would be a perfectly good audit trail for all monies received. I don't really see what the issue is. As long as people send it via paypal as a personal payment there are no charges. If they choose to use a debit card or credit card when making the payment they would of course be charged but that is their choice.

Problem with any central system is that it needs administering and that probably means a paid position when you take into account the amount of work it would take each week.

Whilst we still need entry cards I'd guess this is pretty much a non starter anyway.
Easy..... until you need to cancel and individually refund everyone :roll:
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

davewaine

Post by davewaine » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:49 pm

IF we ever have a full non card system then I can see no reason why entries for all events shouldn't be taken centrally using a suitable web commerce system. Even credit cards (+the fee) could be accepted!

The money would all go into a Slalom Exec account and the details of each paddler who has entered would be passed on to the relevent race organiser.

After the race, once the results have been sent in (electronically of course), Slalom Admin would make a BACS transfer to the Club for their portion of the fees.

Low cost to make payments in the first place (less than an envelope and stamp?)
No errors / missing payments etc as it is all on line.
Exec have all the money 'up front', (use interest gained to help fund it?)
Clubs have an incentive to get their results sent in quickly after the race.
A BACS transfer to a Club is easier than paying a cheque in at the bank.

There would still be the problem of how to deal with refunds for a cancelled event. (Keep in the central account for future entries? Allow paddlers to apply for an refund in the same way as they paid?)

Div 4's would still have to accept cash/cheques on the day as would any late entries that were accepted. (Paid directly into the Club's account and accounted for by reducing the amount transferred by Slalom Admin).

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Thu May 10, 2012 11:37 am

I don't think it's realistic to expect all clubs to get to grips with online payment systems. But we could go for payments to a central account.
Currently clubs collect entry fees and pay a portion to the Committee. You could turn that back to front: Committee collects the fees and pays the appropriate portion to the club. Although in practice you'd get some fees paid centrally and some locally, and a settling-up afterwards.

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Thu May 10, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm with Dee on this one. If someone is emailing me to pull out of this weekend's event (because of injury) I am offering to shred the cheque. Could I be bothered to pay back electronically the money? Probably not! Sorry, but organising an event takes enough time as it is.

If this weekend's event is cancelled I will have nearly 200 paddlers from the Div 1/2 alone to pay back - a nightmare. Shredding cheques takes moments...

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu May 10, 2012 4:58 pm

BaldockBabe wrote:I'm with Dee on this one.
:lol: :lol:
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Fri May 11, 2012 8:33 am

BaldockBabe wrote:Shredding cheques takes moments...
As long as you don't accidentally shred the cash! :lol:

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri May 11, 2012 9:05 am

....or postal orders!

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Fri May 11, 2012 9:14 am

Just one postal order to remember!!!