Can we improve any part of Canoe Slalom?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
jjayes

Re: Can we improve any part of Canoe Slalom?

Post by jjayes » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Harvey said
It pains me to think the BCU have not thought more about this. Very simply, rafting makes money, it makes big bucks!
So why when course are built, are the contracts issued to rafting companies not given terms:
I already gave my answer to this question
People often have the best of intentions in the planning stages and some amazing places have been built for the sport, but because usually it is public money, nobody seems to really ask the hard questions as nobody personally looses when it does not work out so well.
I am sorry to say this is too often the case in many public sector ventures. I do not blame anybody for this it is simply human nature that if your income and neck is not on the line people do not tend to try as hard as if it was as in a private business. It should not be like this and maybe in the future with continued economic pressure, the public will ask a lot more questions about how efficiently and effective their money is spent or better still invested to make a profit to help expand the sport.

Andrew Hadfield

Post by Andrew Hadfield » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:08 pm

At the risk of being slightly controversial, and in reply to the above, I think it's time we all had a hard look at the price we're prepared to pay to enter races. Whilst attracting sponsors may give a quick fix, it’s hardly a panacea and it certainly doesn’t actually address the underlying issue…

Whether we like it or not, the current ‘one size fits all’ entry fee doesn’t cover the cost of running a race on Lee Valley, Cardiff or even HPP during the summer. Given it’s highly unlikely the BCU will reduce their slice of the entry fee pie, the onus unfortunately falls squarely at the feet of the people who want to race on these sites – i.e. you and me to pay more to do so.

I would propose either of the following systems:

1) A fixed entry fee (much like we have now) that covers the cost of admin, the BCU’s fee and any other non-water related expenses + a variable fee to cover the water costs; or

2) Allow the clubs that want to run races to set their own entry fee free from any external interference. This would allow far more flexibility in terms of what could be offered, e.g. classic, parallel, night slalom, parties, BBQs etc, which in turn may increase the attractiveness and retentiveness of the sport*.

The point of the above is that, in my opinion, it’s perverse that slalom paddlers cannot race on world-class courses as a result of a constraint that we impose upon ourselves.

It’s foolish to expect the BCU to impose a ‘tax’ on rafting, just as it is to think that companies are lining up to sponsor / support canoe slalom. Even if they were, and ignoring the economic climate, it would be a full-time undertaking to go out and get it and one I suspect we wouldn’t be prepared to pay for.

Before we look outside, we would be far better served by looking within, asking the difficult (but necessary) questions and ultimately putting our money where our mouths are.I for one would be happy to pay 50% more if it meant I could race on Lee Valley / Cardiff / HPP at the height of summer, when the sport can be showcased at its best and when people actually want to race / spend time outside.

Dons tin hat and awaits incoming…

*it would also allow clubs to run an event with the expectation being that it will make a profit – money which can then be ploughed back into the sport at the grass root and development levels.

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:59 pm

marcus wrote:1.
Any ideas of raising money?

I'd be happy to redistribute some of the money that goes into the fuel companies - diesel was 1.43 today - so rather than giving it to them. I could drive to Lee Valley/Cardiff rather than say Tully twice a year which is about two thousand miles - Lee Valley is 300ish. Then the sport could have the percentage and if other people would do the same the money would be progressing the sport by covering some or all of the event/maybe find a fund matching thing. I haven't done the maths but I too would be interested to know the cost of Caerdydd and LV and perhaps someone more

Nnothign worng with Tully obviously but on the back of the victory in the Olympics - the moment should be seized.....Carpe Diem (Kill a Fish)

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Would love to have races at Lee Valley and Cardiff as regular features WITH Tully on the Slalom calendar. I would also want some prearranged training slots on the Friday before the race (which the Cardiff race did arrange) for those of us who don't get to use these sites regularly. Neil, if you are offering the money you would save in travelling, please can you pay for my travelling from Stirling down :D

I wonder if there is any merit in lobbying the BCU and other canoeing governing bodies along with MPs, Seb Coe to see whether we can get any traction on getting these courses at an affordable price. This has possibly been already tried. (This obviously takes time and effort and we can't just expect the volunteer committee to do this for us along with all the other voluntary activities they undertake.) Did the BCU didn't lobby for these courses to have clauses written into them when they were being build to give say 2-3 weekends to slalom for events at an affordable cost?

jjayes

Post by jjayes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:30 pm

Andrew Hadfield
At the risk of being slightly controversial, and in reply to the above, I think it's time we all had a hard look at the price we're prepared to pay to enter races.
I like Andrew's ideas here and it is quite a realistic view point. If prevision for slalom racing and training has not been put in any contract as a prerequisite of any management and unfortunately this seems to be the case. Then if people want to race and train on these venues then they will have to pay the going rate, if they can.

One thing to consider though is the cost of training at these venues. This is a big question as the only people who get good access is those who are already in National squads. So is the racing fair when training access is so limited/biased to existing squad members? This effectively holds up progress of developing paddlers, especially as these venues are often used for National Team Selection races.

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:21 pm

CeeBee wrote: Neil, if you are offering the money you would save in travelling, please can you pay for my travelling from Stirling down :D
I have some czech korunas left if that helps - I was waiting for this one.

Flipper

Post by Flipper » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:39 pm

Please also see the topic under Home Nations/ England on "Entry Level Slalom, a slow motion train crash".

marcus

Post by marcus » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:45 pm

It is true that we do need to do more to attract new paddlers to our sport. Otherwise slalom numbers we decrease even more over the years.

Do we need to do more on the publicity front? 'Paddles Up! :D (TV programme)' got me interested in Canoe Slalom.

Flipper

Post by Flipper » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Slalom is a competitive sport. That is to say it's competing for the attention of kids and their parents. Competing against swimming, football, tennis, gymnastics, rugby. All have these have, in recent years, adapted their sport to attract youngsters, with growing success. So we too must adapt or die. In your first posting you mentioned the word fun, that's one key element (and incidentally the declared objective of this years Canoe Club of the year). Another is that the parents too must enjoy it. Lots can be done but only after we first accept that the sport needs a lot of re-thinking at the junior entry level.