Food Hygiene at Slaloms

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Mrs C P Paddler

Food Hygiene at Slaloms

Post by Mrs C P Paddler » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:41 pm

As some of you are probably aware the rules regarding Food Hygiene have been tightened in the last few years. The latest missive from Europe is about labelling foods for Allergens.
For the last few weeks I have been trying to get a definitive ruling on exactly what we, as occasional caterers providing food at slaloms, are required to do. Although there are rules written which seem to exempt us as an 'occasional' business it has become obvious that it depends on how your local EH Officer interprets the rules and defines 'occasional'. If your club has a purpose built kitchen in the club house, the EHO may not believe you when you say you only use it for Slaloms and not during club meetings. If you do use it during club nights it may be that you need to get the kitchen inspected by the EHO. The best advice I can offer is contact your local EHO and ask them what THEY require you to do. You may be lucky and have to do nothing.

Meanwhile if anyone has been told something different can you please let us all know. Fore warned is fore armed so they say.

My EHO had to go and check up on exactly what the law was. We only need one EHO who knows the law upside down and backwards to catch one of us out and the balloon will go up!! I can see the day when we will be required to ensure that at least one person has a food hygiene certificate. The only good thing is that you can now do it on line. I'm just waiting for that to be included in the Organisers pack!!!!