Fins on Slalom boats ?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Malcolm Pearcey

Fins on Slalom boats ?

Post by Malcolm Pearcey » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:50 am

Can someone let me know what the rules "if any" there are regarding fitting fins ?

Who's using them , opinions , how fitting etc.

Thanks

Malcolm

djberriman

Re: Fins on Slalom boats ?

Post by djberriman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:06 pm

I've only seen one paddler using them (at Tees), they were taped on, I was told they stop the boat sliding in up gates. Made for an interesting trip up the conveyor.

I wonder if anyone has looked at the safety aspect, what happens when they get sharp or damaged with use and you hit someone else in the water.

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:11 pm

I first saw them being used at international events - mainly by the Australians (though not Jess Fox) a couple of years ago. A few more international paddlers have followed suit. However I genuinely can't say if any of the podium paddlers are using them but I can't say I have noticed them doing so.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:13 pm

I can't see anything that would prevent their use the only thing not allowed it a rudder.

Oddly whilst reading the rules I noticed a slight issue, air bags are recommended BUT the boat must float level when full of water which is pretty impossible if you have air bags fitted...

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:41 pm

As Duncan says, nothing in teh rules (national oir internationl) to prevent their use.

I first saw them in 2011, used by Australians at the Olypmic test event.

An increasing number of international paddlers seem to be using them, and soem of the podium paddlers have at least tried them.

There are a variety of thicknesses, depth etc being tried, all seem to be gluing and taping them on. Apparently to help prevent side slip.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Nick Penfold

Post by Nick Penfold » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:38 pm

There is nothing in the rule book to prohibit fins. I was in equipment control at the Olympics and we had quite a debate about it. But we have rules designed to make the ends of the boat blunt (minimum radius curvature) to make moving boats a bit less dangerous to other paddlers, and I thinkthere should be a fins rule for the same reason. Maybe not a ban, exactly, but a minimum radius of 1 cm on the leading edge. That would make the minimum thickness of the fin 2cm and the drag would make fins impractical.
At the Olympics it was the Australians who had the fins and certainly thought they were their secret weapon, but Australia's only medallist was Jess Fox, paddling (I think) the only Australian boat without fins. By the way Jess's boat was also 200 gm overweight, because that's how Miriam wanted it.

Arrowcraft

Post by Arrowcraft » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:46 am

Actually, well positioned fins of the correct size could help with side slide but the effect will be massively undermined if the fins flex in the turn. Plus the fins can cause drag on the way back into the current if you want get across the flow (for double ups), on the big turns in offsets and of course they cause havoc in boils and surges. The comparative advantage is moot.

To avoid side slide just learn how to carve on the front rails...if your boat has front rials and you running line is cut properly.

It's too easy to just slap the back end down and spin but the price of this is side slide. You can get away with it at Stone, but try it in on Augsberg and you end up slapping the wall and getting your ears wet. If you need to add fins to your boat to solve a design flaw...because your boat slides uncontrollably in the turns, then you don't need new fins, you need a new boat.

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:28 pm

At World Cup level, the use of fins is now quite widespread. At last week's World Cup race in Seu D'Urgell, I think 6 out of the top 10 mens K1 were using fins! Also 4 of the top 10 womens K1 and 4 of the top 10 C1's.

They are used in various combinations of 1, 2 or even 3. Mostly 2. By K1's, C1's and a few C2's.

They have been adopted more by certain nations - France and Spain being notable. In the GB team, there are several fin users, including Joe Clarke and Bradley Forbes-Cryans.

There are still plenty of others performing at the highest level without fins. So they are not necessary. But there must be something in it, or all these top paddlers would not be using them! Especially when they are a hassle - difficult to put boat on roof or trailers with other boats, they often break and fall off etc

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:32 pm

Also, the ReVolt, designed by Zig-Zag, and notably used by top Spanish paddlers Hernanz (MK1), Chourrout and Martinez (WK1), all of whom have won medals this year, was specifically designed to use fins.

Neil H

Post by Neil H » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Leaving aside all the debate about benefits/or not on the water; I recently observed a boat with fins attached being carried on the shoulder as per normal up a crowded path at a race. The paddler carrying the boat was in conversation and wouldn't have even been aware, even if he hadn't been talking that the fins narrowly missed a child's forehead. Accident waiting to happen at a race course such as HPP. Just a consideration but one that probably shouldn't be ignored

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:24 pm

New Risk to go in and be mitigated by race organisers?

"Spectators sliced and diced by boats with Fins..."