Event Safety

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
davebrads

Re: Event Safety

Post by davebrads » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:30 pm

Well, I've done the course now, and it wasn't too onerous, though I have come away thinking that I could have done something else with my evening and not been any less informed. That is apart from finding out that a Safety Plan has to include measures for cancellation!!!!!

However I have just received the handbook "BRITISH CANOEING SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR PADDLERS, CLUBS AND VOLUNTEERS" and it is enough to put anybody off wanting to volunteer to run anything. In the document is something called a the "British Canoeing Checklist - All Activities", which is described as:

"The purpose of this document is to assist you and your club assess the management of safety within your club and club activities, and in particular assist you in producing a club Safety Plan. At this stage it is not meant to be comprehensive, merely a guide to which you may wish to add further items and comments as a means of completing a thorough review as part of an ongoing safety management process."

This checklist runs to 13 pages!!!!! and it is described as "not meant to be comprehensive". It is notable that the first two names on the acknowledgements are insurance companies. What a joke.

Anybody want to run a race at HPP next year?

JimW

Re: Event Safety

Post by JimW » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:17 pm

That reminds me, I need to download the SCA course notes because they weren't ready when I did the course (apparently there are slight differences between regions?) - that checklist sounds like a bit of a bear!