Volunteering for 2019 / 2020 Sorry, and please volunteer

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

Volunteering for 2019 / 2020 Sorry, and please volunteer

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:57 am

Firstly to all those who have already looked at the volunteer registration on BCs website, I am sorry. The Organising Committee agreed and supported that those of us who already give up weeks each year to support the organisation of slalom in this country do not need to apply to help AND be interviewed. But the web form was published without being amended to reflect this and it has taken AGES to get it part sorted.

Some of us on the committee know how much work you all put in, and do not expect you to give up yet MORE time. The form has been tweaked so that you can say 'Yep I know about big slalom events' and a few words to seperate those who know slalom from those who have parked cars before!

So I can almost endorse the form on https://www.britishcanoeingevents.org.u ... teer-here/

The only reservation remaining is the requirement to be over 18. I know lots of people who are under 18 and volunteer at slaloms. I am following this up, but it may be an issue with having a 'responsible adult' so please register and say who your 'responsible adult' will be. If there are still issues, then email me (see yearbook) and I will follow it up.

Bottom line, sorry if the over the top request has annoyed/ upset / p***ed you off. I am on the organising committee for the slalom and NEED good people with a knowledge of the sport so shout at me, complain to me, but volunteer and come and have a good time with the best in the World / Best in Europe desperate for the last chance to qualify for Tokyo.

Colin Woodgate (for those who have not connected the terrible typing with the real person)
Last edited by Canadian Paddler on Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Seedy Paddler

Re: Volunteering for 2019 / 2020 Sorry, and please volunteer

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:45 am

Colin - I did sign up as volunteer but suggested that I would not be attending interviews etc. unless they were providing expenses etc. as LV not exactly a local facility to me.

CD

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:55 pm

The list is being reviewed to check for those that are known volunteers. So despite the fact that I checked your name you will not be interviewed. Your are known and marked just like others who signed up early.
Also checking those signing up now to see if they claim knowledge that they do not have or are being shy.

There will be an orientation meeting so that you know details of the event, what is expected, what you are entitled to etc. But these will be held alongside existing competitions such as in the breaks round selection.

Seems a lot of folk have not signed up yet. You need to sign up even if asked to do something so that HR can keep track and we do not have to worry about Data protection by using contact details from elsewhere.

Form is better now: contact details, I am a regular, Colin knows me, and why.
Job done, easy, and we need good slalom people to support the slaloms
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:55 pm

I'm assuming that, with the ever changing form ( :wink: ), we don't need to re-volunteer with each new iteration
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:16 pm

Nope the information goes to one google sheet. So you have volunteered.