oldandslow

Calculating points for inquorate, VET and PU

Post by oldandslow » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Does anyone want to second these three motions

Proposal for consideration at the ACM
Proposed by: Donna Hawkins of Matlock Canoe Club
Seconded by:

B4.1.4 Paddle Up Points Calculation
Where a score does not correspond exactly with a score in the host division event, points should be awarded equivalent to midway between the place above and the next place lower.

B4.2 Calculating Points Inquorate event
Where the Competitor’s modified score does not correspond exactly with a competitor in the corresponding Kayak Men event, then points should be awarded equivalent to midway between the place above and the next place lower.

B5.3.1 Calculating Points
Where a Veteran’s score does not correspond exactly with a score in the Divisional event, points should be awarded equivalent to midway between the place above and the next place lower.

This can be calculated by adding the points above and the points below and dividing by 2. For example if a Veteran would have finished 2nd in a Div 3 event with ten paddlers they should be awarded (250+225)/2 = 238 points.

(If a paddler would have won in that event they score maximum points and if they would have been last they achieve minimum points.)
Life is what happens when you're making other plans.

paddlerparent

Re: Calculating points for inquorate, VET and PU

Post by paddlerparent » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:30 am

Why is this motion being proposed, its it that the PU & vet get equivalent to the lower paddler rather than mid way?

Its seems rather complicated, im keen to understand what is trying to be fixed

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:55 pm

Please ensure your motion is clear about rounding, in the example the result is 237.5 which has been rounded to 238, what happens to 237.4 does it become 237 or 238?

I'm not sure mid way actually achieves anything more statistically correct other than to complicate the software.

Paddlerparent - At the moment you get points of the paddler above the one you beat. So in the example you would currently get 250.

Would be good to have a reason/rational given for the change.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:08 pm

djberriman wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:55 pm
Please ensure your motion is clear about rounding, in the example the result is 237.5 which has been rounded to 238, what happens to 237.4 does it become 237 or 238?
Umm!

Points awarded are always integers
Mid-point of two integers will always be either another integer or in the form n.5. :P :twisted:

Whether the change is appropriate or needed I don't know. It is also unclear what the impact on points, and therefore promotions, would be
Last edited by Dee on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Indeed well spotted. So I'm guessing it is always round up then :)

andy n

Post by andy n » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:14 pm

I have returned to competition this season as a K1M Veteran and competed at a mix of Div 3 and Div 2 slaloms. I like the new Vet options. Regarding points I believe they should be earnt so if I wish to gain max points at an event I should match or better the score of the winning K1M in the corresponding divisional event. If I finish with a result that would place me between 1st and 2nd place in the corresponding divisional event I haven't earnt the max points but under the current rules I would get max points. This is what this proposal is about and I would support the motion. I'll see if the club will also support.

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks Andy, just what I was going to explain. I keep coming 2nd and have achieved 6 x 250 points and I have only earned two of them.

(Ive sent you a PM, Andy - I think!)
Last edited by oldandslow on Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:31 pm

237 or 238 I don't mind, so long as it's not 250 - even if I missed a win by one tenth of a second on Sunday! Hmmm! Timing! But that's another issue that I'll let someone think about!

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 pm

My preference for B4.1.4 is to remove the issue. PU are entered to all the same rule, regulations as the Host paddler and hence points should be calculated on the basis as the host paddler i.e. position relative to starting numbers and maximum divisional points. Currently we have the situation whereby PU can qualify for Semifinal/Final format and hence deprive a Host paddler from improving point score. And we have the ridiculous situation where 230 secs separate the last 20 K1M and all have the same points. If you finish in the top 50 with over 100 starts in Prem K1M then you should expect and receive a minimum of 1000 points.