Results required for promotion display

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
djberriman

Results required for promotion display

Post by djberriman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:08 am

I've added as per suggestion from Catherine Brown an extra line to paddlers records if they are near to Promotion. If promotion is possible in the next 2-3 events you will see something like:

Required: 1 win or 407 points from 1 race

Hope you find it useful. Any issues/bugs let me know.

Dee

Re: Results required for promotion display

Post by Dee » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:27 am

Great idea - If I had a £1 for every time a paddler has asked me how many more points they need to achieve promotion I could buy and awful lot of gin/cake/champagne :D

Took me a while to find the info though, as I was looking at the ranking lists and not clicking through to the paddler details - doh! :roll:
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:41 pm

I do like it :D

The only downside is that paddlers and coaches don't need to practise their mental maths anymore!

JoS

Post by JoS » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:43 pm

I agree, good idea, thanks Duncan!

If anybody needs extra mental maths practice they can always volunteer in control to add up penalties in a div 2/3/4 :)

JimW

Post by JimW » Tue May 07, 2019 5:10 pm

Just had a thought for extending this in a way that may be useful to organisers of events with no internet access at the weekend - would it be possible to furnish event organisers with a list of paddlers who are within 2 wins of promotion on the weekend of their event? I looked up a few people last weekend (where I had good wifi) in order to answer their queries about whether they had done enough for promotion or not.
Ironically the 2 div 2s that did get promoted on Saturday (and one was from my club) both forgot to explicitly tell me they had been promoted so I forgot to take them off Sunday's start list! Oh, they are probably going to want refunds too, they haven't asked yet....

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed May 08, 2019 11:27 am

Jim

You only need to know those within 1 result of promotion so they only paddle Saturday and not Sunday.

If it was possible to do without much effort, there could be an option to display all paddlers within 1 result of promotion on a separate page on Canoe Slalom so organisers (and coaches and paddlers) could just look at this going into the event. This would also make it quite exciting for those nearing promotion to appear on this page too.

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 pm

A follow on thought, but if Duncan can add the "required" text to the database, then the entries for bibs close to promotion could be flagged on canoeslalomentries and perhaps I could even add the 'required text' to the output to Simply Slalom - I could just tag the text onto the sponsor field so that they appear in the start/results list, but don't get "in the way" of other stuff.

This would mean the paddlers would know what they are aiming at and organisers would not have an extra pre-check to perform.

Downsides:
- Approx 77% of div 3s and 95% of div 2s entries currently appear to enter in advance, so this would cover most, but not all paddlers.
- Info will only hold at time of download, so Sunday's info will not reflect results achieved on Saturday
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Wed May 08, 2019 10:02 pm

Good idea.

I can make a list available to organisers. The best thing to do will be to download it as near as possible to your event so that all the previous weekends results are loaded.

It will take a bit of work and I won't have time for a couple of weeks but watch this space.

JimW

Post by JimW » Wed May 08, 2019 11:57 pm

CeeBee wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:27 am

You only need to know those within 1 result of promotion so they only paddle Saturday and not Sunday.
Strictly speaking yes, but paddlers ask organisers on both days - last weekend one of your club's paddlers wasn't sure and asked me on Sunday...

Thanks for looking into this Duncan!

Jim

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Thu May 09, 2019 8:16 pm

Paddlers just like asking you questions Jim :lol:

Patrick O'Hara

Post by Patrick O'Hara » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:00 pm

Duncan

Just wondered if you'd made any progress on the organisers list you mention above, if there is anything now available I'd be interested in having it for our event at Cardington this weekend.

Patrick

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:15 am

Sadly not, had far too much on, its on my list of to do but not sadly a priority, what free time I have available for slalom related volunteering is being spent on issuing certificates, online bib applications, BC membership validation and a few other tweaks for various people. As well as helping with The Joy Davis Hull Canoe Polo International and organising Howsham Weir slalom.

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:31 am

Are you calculating on the fly or is it recorded in the dB?

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:41 am

As a quick fix I've added the paddlers points and total to the list all bibs option which you can use from Nick's web site under the more option.

load into a spreadsheet, move each division you are interested into a different tab and then sort by total.

You can then quickly identify those near promotion and at the event simply update their worst points to see if they are promoted.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:42 am

Dee wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:31 am
Are you calculating on the fly or is it recorded in the dB?
At the moment it is on the fly as it was only designed for individual paddlers. I need to move the code to the ranking update and store it in the database, then it will be available to you and I will make a report available to organisers.