Independent Lee Valley Access

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
JFNG

Independent Lee Valley Access

Post by JFNG » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:48 pm

Good Evening!

Because Lee Valley is so difficult to access, especially for international athletes, would there be any interest in forming a regular group of athletes to book the venue out privately? The idea is pretty simple, we work out an acceptable number of athletes who can be on the water, without the sessions feeling crowded, and simply split the costs equally.

So far, this seems to be the only way to access the facility when outside of the UK programs. I think it would be a good idea to specify a minimum standard of paddling, based on the divisional systems. Ie, you must be in the Premier Division, or be competing at an international level to join the session.

I do not see safety as a major concern, since the paddlers on the water should be aware of basic safety procedures, and of a standard that makes such measures practically irrelevant.

This model seems to be working very well overseas, and I think that it has legs in the UK.

Would there be any interest in this?

WindsorCC

Re: Independent Lee Valley Access

Post by WindsorCC » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:27 pm

I'm sure there would be, although there are currently public slalom sessions available.

There are weekend sessions available to book for anyone who has completed their Olympic assessment (I believe you can do the session on the day if you've not got it already).

Then also Lee Valley Paddlesports Club run members slalom sessions on both the Olympic and Legacy several times a week.

So, far more options than there have been in the past, and the sessions above do need support if they are to continue.

I think the challenge of booking privately and splitting the cost is getting enough commitment in advance. Some in the past have paid-up front and then hoped to fill the session to cover the cost, but there's always then a risk of making a loss.

Paul.