6.3 ICF Changes to the Rules relating to Buoyancy Jackets

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Canadian Paddler

6.3 ICF Changes to the Rules relating to Buoyancy Jackets

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:23 pm

The UK rules on Buoyancy Jackets were different to the ICF rules, not the least to take account of the weight of the individual. The amended ICF rules will be applicable to anyone paddling internationally, and the GB Slalom Committee feel that they are now a better set of regulations than the current GB rules, so recommends adoption of the revised structure and contents.
The ICF Slalom Technical delegate is introducing additional rules after the 2021 Congress. These are Sports Rules so will be accepted by Congress with no debate. The changes are aimed at stopping the development of Buoyancy aids in the movement of floatation material from the body to the deck. Existing decks that have buoyancy in the deck, but do not have shoulder straps will become illegal, as the ability to use the shoulder straps is a safety issue no transition period will be available. Peak have been asked if it is possible to retrofit to make previous decks legal, but there is insufficient material in the original decks to make this viable.
The rule changes also put the onus on the paddler to understand the regulations for the use of the Buoyancy Jacket and to use it correctly.
The final part of these changes is to stop referring to Buoyancy Jackets and return to describing them as Buoyancy Aids (as we have always done). Page 58
Motion: That the UK Slalom Rules be amended to follow the ICF rules as follows:
3.6 BUOYANCY AID [SR]
3.6.1 Definition / description
3.6.1.a A buoyancy aid is a garment or device covering the upper trunk of the user like a vest which, when correctly worn and used in water, will provide the user with a specific amount of buoyancy which will increase the likelihood of survival.
3.6.1.b A buoyancy aid must comply with the current industry standard that is, ISO 12402-5 (Level 50) or any national standard that meets the same requirements.
3.6.1.c At all times the user of the buoyancy aid is responsible to respect the instructions and recommendations provided in the explanatory leaflet when purchased.
3.6.1.d A buoyancy aid must be ICF registered by 1 January in order to be authorised for use in ICF level 1, 2 & 3 competitions in that year. A buoyancy aid must be ICF registered by 1 January the year prior the Olympic Games in order to be authorised for use in Olympic Games.
3.6.1.e A buoyancy aid must rely only on inherently buoyant material (flotation foam) for its uplift. Inflating devices are not acceptable.
3.6.1.f A buoyancy aid must have flotation foam that cannot be removed on the upper torso front and back, above the waist. Minimum 20 mm thickness and with a minimum surface area of 400 cm² at the front and 400 cm2 at the back for all sizes.
3.6.1.g A buoyancy aid may have an additional flotation foam that cannot be removed at the front below the waist. This additional foam must represent no more than 50 percent of the total flotation foam. This additional flotation foam must be part of the buoyancy aid and not detachable. This additional flotation foam may be linked to the spraydeck.
3.6.1.h A buoyancy aid must have shoulder straps to withstand lifting loads during rescue activities from either shoulder.
3.6.1.i To avoid the user slipping out during rescue activities a buoyancy aid must be designed with side straps on either side or a crotch strap.
3.6.1.j At a competition the buoyancy aid jacket’s uplift will be tested using a 6.12 Kg calibrated stainless steel weight or its equivalent in other metals.
3.6.1.k The buoyancy aid manufacturer markings and identification must comply with the ISO standard (or equivalent national standard) to allow the control of equipment by ICF Officials.
3.6.1.l The rules contained in Article 3.6 apply to all sizes of buoyancy aid regardless of body weight.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

WindsorCC

Re: 6.3 ICF Changes to the Rules relating to Buoyancy Jackets

Post by WindsorCC » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:48 am

Just a comment on this around timing of the rule change.

Bear in mind that this affects the newer Hiko Jackpot BA with the slimmer foam (I believe the original isn't affected) as well as the ST2020. The newer Hikos are far more widely used, and given Hiko seem to have supply issues at the moment (I've just ordered a couple of Jackpot cagdecks which aren't due until around Feb/March time), plus increased demand for legal kit from international paddlers, there is a risk that there could be Prem/Div 1 paddlers at the start of next season who don't have legal kit, not to mention the unexpected cost of replacing BAs.

So, I'd suggest that we have a transition period and postpone the domestic rule change until the 2023 season to give people time to replace kik.

humphr

Post by humphr » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:13 pm

WindsorCC wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:48 am
So, I'd suggest that we have a transition period and postpone the domestic rule change until the 2023 season to give people time to replace kik.
Seems a fairly sensible option given the amount of ST2020 people have out there and the fact you can't currently purchase a Peak ST from their website.
Another parent

Paul Ramsdale

Post by Paul Ramsdale » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:51 pm

humphr wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:13 pm
WindsorCC wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:48 am
Seems a fairly sensible option given the amount of ST2020 people have out there and the fact you can't currently purchase a Peak ST from their website.
Incorrect: https://peakuk.com/clearance

humphr

Post by humphr » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:17 pm

Yes fair enough. I guess they are working on a 2022 model
Another parent

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:55 pm

A wide ranging, spirited debate then an amendment was accepted
Rules 3.6.1.d to 3.6.1.i will be marked as not applicable in the UK.
The amendment and teh motion were then accepted nem con
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points