6.11.1 Ability to hold two races in one day.

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Secretary Man

6.11.1 Ability to hold two races in one day.

Post by Secretary Man » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:40 pm

Proposed by Pinkston Panthers Club Seconded by CR Cats Canoe Club
Ability to hold two races in one day. Attendance at Scottish events (Division 2 and below) is such that there is capacity to run 2 races in one day. This would reduce the travel / accommodation costs to competitors and maximise the benefit to organising clubs of getting everything set up.
In order to specifically allow for this, a new clause will be added to the rules
5.2.5 Double day events (only applicable to Division 2 and below)
5.2.5.a Where the Organisers believe there is sufficient time a race can be held in the morning and a second race held on the same venue in the afternoon.
5.2.5.b To provide a different challenge for each race, the course for the second race must include at least 6 major changes to the course.
Hon Secretary to the British Canoeing Slalom Committee
( a different Id is used for personal rants and raves)

Secretary Man

Re: 6.11.1 Ability to hold two races in one day.

Post by Secretary Man » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:41 pm

Committee Amendment 1: Any organiser wanting to run two events in a day will need preapproval from the slalom committee before the race is put on the calendar.
Committee Amendment 2: If a double race is organised, for one day of a weekend another ranking race cannot be held at the same venue on the same weekend.

Mike Mitchell

Post by Mike Mitchell » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:53 pm

Two races in One Day is the most stupid proposal I have ever seen.
For someone that races Two boats, thats 8 timed runs in a Day. Plus practice runs [4] Total 12 Runs,
So I used to race Prem in C2/C1 and K1 but only entered all at the same event, once or Twice. 6 timed runs in a day is Hard but 8 to get as good result is a joke

Other considerations
1. What happens when we get problems with timing in the Morning. We have had it this year at lots of events, including Lee Valley. Legacy and Olympic.
Douse the Second event start in the afternoon without the mornings results.
Result sheets with the event information not filled out properly.

2. Simply Slalom cant work it out.

3. Promotions ?

4. Not enough time to change the Course, so it get bodged.

5. For a youngster new to the sport, I believe its just going to be too much to expect them to race twice in the Day and have a good experience.

6. Posible 12 Runs on the Course in a Day, That on a Cold Wet Day with No time to get changed between Runs. No thanks.

InsertUsernameHere

Post by InsertUsernameHere » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:16 am

I read this motion as having clubs having the option to run a two races in one day, there is no suggestion that is it compulsory. Therefore if an organiser thought it was too difficult at their event/course they wouldn’t do it.

Similarly as they are separate events, paddlers could decide whether to enter both events or not. Those that paddle both classes could decide whether to enter one or both (or enter one even for each class and have more rest between runs than they currently do - no worry about being scheduled to race back to back). For those paddlers who are racing just one class, the number of runs is the same as those paddling both in a single event.

Some courses are much easier to change than others, and I assume it would be those courses that would choose this option. It also allows potential expensive venues to be used to their maximum and make then financially viable (with less cost to the paddler - due to compresses travel/accommodation costs). With entry levels reduced, it’s about bring entries for a single day back up to previous levels.

From my reading it looks like the committee has veto’d the option for a double-double? Is that right (or have I read it wrong).

I’m not sure I understand the concern about a paddler getting promoted in a single weekend. They already can get promoted by just having three wins at a home course. To get three wins in a single weekend surely demonstrates a high level of fitness and skill and concentration/consistency and surely that is an indication of appropriateness of promotion.

Secretary Man

Post by Secretary Man » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:33 pm

This is a motion from two clubs so the committee has no power to veto it or any part of it.
What the committee is doing is proposing an amendment, well two amendments.
The ACM has to decide to accept the amendments, or reject them. Then the motion will be voted on.
Clubs can also put amendments if they want.
So the ACM may reject all amendments and accept the motions as originally put. This would allow (not force as noted earlier) clubs to run two, three or four races at a site in one weekend.
So it is in the power of the ACM. That is the voting clubs. So get your rep there and vote for your club.