the olympics

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
SarahC

Post by SarahC » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:59 am

were the K1W actually shown on the BBC? because i only saw the C1s. Great news though for both stu and helen, lets just hope campbell and nick+stu keep it up and qualify on thurs! :D
xXx Sarah xXx

SarahC

Post by SarahC » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:29 pm

oops my mistake, i'm too impatient, have now just watched the K1W and it was worth waiting for!
xXx Sarah xXx

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:46 pm

Ah the wonders of interactive. While those on an ordinary aerial watched eventing, interactive and web viewers saw all the runs almost live. (The web was about ten seconds behind the interactive)

If you want to watch the finals tomorrow, Nick/Stu and Campbell after that, BBC1 Interactive lets you go to the canoeing.

Tomorrow the racing starts. Martikan showed in his second run that he was not racing flat out in the first run. And there were a number of others that looked to be doing the same. Lets hope that included StuMac and Helen.

Good Luck tomorrow. :laugh:

(and Hope Jacquelyn Margaret Wetzig and Jenny Walker have a good time judging!) Damnation, and 'Oh I say' the Olympic site even shows the ladies ages - have they NO manners! :angry: But the site has too many athletes as well, so I am not sure who is out there. . .
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Vicky

Post by Vicky » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:37 pm

Nice qualification results! Keep it up GB team! :D

(on british eurosport finals start 9.45am 2moro)

Best of luck to them all! :)

(shame about the Irish tho)

NKcanoe

Post by NKcanoe » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:22 pm

Check this out.
Slalom rules

http://www.athens2004.com/infographic/en/CF.html

Good luck GB.
Interactive BBC Full coverage from 8am each day.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:25 am

Stu Mc into the Final in 7th +6.83 off pace
Helen Reeves into Final in 5th +5.16 off pace

Both still in with a medal shout go for it, us @ home(office) are rooting for you. Good job from the BBC web site

:D :D

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:12 am

C1 Final
1 Martikan
2 Estanguet
3 Pfannmoeler

8th Stu McIntosh

Unlucky Stu but well done in getting there

Ray

Post by Ray » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:57 am

As we wait with baited breath for confirmation of Helen's bronze, I find myself irritated by the ignorance of the BBC's commentary team. We don't use oars, going backwards through a gate doesn't necessarily mean we are in trouble, upside down through a gate is a 50 and we don't have to get 1 or even 2 (he changed his mind between C1 and K1W) shoulders through the gate!

Does any one else find it so annoying!

Also Martikan's incredible control from 11-12 should have been highlighted, as it picked up possibly as much as 2 seconds over all the opposition. The commentator stated that he was in trouble doing this!!!

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:01 am

yer i know, the ("commenpotato") commentater doesnt really know what he is talking about, i think he is taking bits of infomation from people and not getting it all, but i do think that he is trying which is ok really. id like to see you commentating infront of millions of people :cool:

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:03 am

And of course the fuss over C1 what happened to Martikan??
another 2 gone missing!

Does not make for good publicity for Athens organisers!

And apprently no protest from the French. . . . . anyone got fingernails left
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Ray

Post by Ray » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:08 am

Maybe I could, maybe I would make a mess of it, who knows! However, that is not my point - most other sports seem to have commentators who know what they are talking about, as they usually are, or have been, elite competitors in that sport.

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:13 am

BRONZE YAY :D

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:14 am

:D :D :D :D :D

Well Done Helen

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:16 am

yes, that is a very good point, but canoeing compared to say, running is such a minority sport so the commentators wont follow it so closely. i also think that the bbc could make more effort into research OR hiring someone who knew what they were doing

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:20 am

Not sure about these additional Penalties - hope it isn't GBR Judges on the problem gates.

If you were a Scot you will have developed an ear filter when listening to BBC Commentators that removes most of the cr**.