the olympics

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:19 am

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:21 am

Two medals from five athletes in our four events is a truly superb result for the team.

Congratulations to the all the paddlers and coaches.
Out of Darkness cometh Light

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:47 am

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:49 am

Confirmed as official Silver to Campbell.

Seems a shame after qualification and semis, but we would have accepted silver before so let still heap the congratulations on our medallists.

Pity the BBC chat board is dominated by negative criticism, thought of getting involved but hten the standard of discussion was such that I couldn't be bothered to demean myself with punters who have largely never got off their fat a**e and are only liable to strain the remote control digit.

James

Post by James » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:52 am

he he, who saw Allice Spencer, Naomie Winters and Catherin Rolf at the prising giving (around the bottom right of the screen when it showed a few members of the crowd). Naomi and Allice were each taking pictures.

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:58 am

Re the BBC message board - just seems to be full of ignorant whingers.

I've just registered and put a posting on in defence of Campbell, it's sad when someone performs so well and then is critisised by morons who have no clue what they're on about, and probably exhausted themselves struggling to get off the sofa to reach their PC :(

James

Post by James » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:00 pm

any way, how would the clock have started early?

its a beam that you cross over and unless the unlikely chance that a splash of water set it off, ide say some one was trying to fix his run.

Steve M's last post post
I second that, especialy Juror Number 8, what a looser, just look at all his posts! heres the link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-per....sort=Te

Clem

Post by Clem » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:28 pm

It's frustrating to sit back and read all the negative comments from these ignorant people but morons will be morons so let's just congratulate Helen and Campbell on their achievements. We know how important theses medals are to the paddlers personally and to our sport.

Maybe these people can compete to see who can win the moron gold medal for these Olympics!!
Once upon a time, in a C2..........

VivienneM

Post by VivienneM » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:32 pm

Well done the team and especially Helen and Campbell. It was great to watch. Helen did really well in the commentary box too. Congratulations everyone.

Jimi3000

Post by Jimi3000 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:54 pm

Yer i second that motion.

I was reading the paper and it was like basically jus sayin that canoe slalom is wicked and everyone thinks it is cool...

literally.... they said it was "the next beach vollyball"

cant be a bad thing

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:31 am

Mmmmm...which paper was that? Sounds more like they were taking the mick, I think quite a few people think Beach Volleyball is not a proper Olympic sport.

Steve

Jimi3000

Post by Jimi3000 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:17 pm

that was the guardian on the 21st of august. it was all positive dont worry.

they said:

"the surprise hit, of the games"

"there was no denying the sport's popularity in Athens"

"the upshot is a spectacle loved not only by the television camaras but by everybody"

all positive not taking the mick at all, dont worry,..

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:05 pm

OK, I take it back!

Wish I'd bought a paper on Saturday now, that sounds like the sort of article which ensures the efforts of Helen and Campbell have a positive effect on the whole sport :)

Good luck to Tim Brabants now...

Link to the Guardian story

Edited By SteveM on 1093290863

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:57 pm

Thanks for the link Steve.

Thursday's Guardian also had a great, full colour picture of Helen on its front page!

I think the reporter is right. We have got a great sport that looks pretty good on TV. It looked especially good because of the weather and the colour of the water. It should encourage some youngsters to have a go at slalom.

I can't help thinking though that they might get the wrong impression. The sport feels a bit different on a muddy riverbank during a wet weekend in Wales!

The other issue is the format. We all probably would have liked a bigger competition with more entries. Imagine though if you were a non-paddling viewer and there were 50 on each start line. Would you have had the patience to watch them all? The restricted entry resulted in four short, snappy sessions of paddling that lent themselves to the TV audience.

All in all, an excellent week for GB Slalom
Out of Darkness cometh Light