Dee Protest (again) - Who was there then?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:44 pm

I was! It made the news for Wales at least...click here :cool:

It was a long drive for me - and much longer for others - but I thought it was worthwhile at least at the local level. I'm not sure it reached the critical mass required to make a difference nationally, but it's a start and Jim is due lots of thanks for organising it :thumbsup:

So where was everyone else? I'm tempted to think there's a lot of paddlers out there who think access is someones job to sort out...

Steve

PS. A few pictures to follow later...

Edited By SteveM on 1101059234

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:51 pm

Some pictures....

And a short video

Thanks again to the organisers and helpers, it was a very friendly demo with a wide range of paddlers represented. Nice to see support from some of the Llangollen businesses too! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Steve

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:10 pm

I was too, and there were a few other slalomists there, heavily disguised as river paddlers, but most of them were on the older side, like yours truly. It would have been good to see some younger paddlers there - after all it is about the future of our sport, not just the Dee.

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:19 pm

Agree completely, though it was great to see a few University clubs represented.

There are some more pics on the Thames Weir Project site.

Steve

davewaine

Post by davewaine » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:26 pm

I was there as well!!! But what a pathetic turn out from canoeists in general and slalomists in particular. There were a few slalomists (most disguised as playboaters) at the protest but not enough to make a difference.
We currently have no access to the Dee except at Mile End, affecting slalom, playboating, whitewater racing and touring. Canoeists don't deserve to paddle the Dee.

For tens of years we have had slaloms on the Dee, doesn't anyone wish to compete on the Tail or Town Falls again? Are we happy to only use 'artificial' sites for the higher divisions?

Why couldn't slalomists be bothered to turn up? Two hundred Prem and Div 1 paddlers plus supporters ought to have been there.

Why was there a training weekend at Nottingham when it could have been at Llangollen and boosted the protest?

Why did the BCU only give their backing at a late stage?

Jim worked extremely hard to stage the event and has been let down by the bulk of our membership.

Yes I rant on but I am extreemly p** off with the general lack of access and even more p** off with slalomists for not bothering.

Well done Jim.
We had a good weekend at Llangollen.
The Dee was in good flow and the paddling great.
Free party and groups after the rodeo excellent.

Post by . » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:36 pm

It wasn't just a training weekend at nottingham it was a Whole Sport weekend to launch the programmes for the next 4 year Olympic cycle, which has been planned for some time, with people coming especially, even people from as far away as Germany. It could not just be dropped for the protest, but im sure many of the people at nottingham would have fully supported the protest if they had been available.

Dave Waine

Post by Dave Waine » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:03 pm

Sorry about the dig re. Nottingham but it was a very poor show by slalomists in general!

VivienneM

Post by VivienneM » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:16 pm

Sorry we weren't there but involved in the Nottingham weekend.
There is still the dilemma that we are not supposed to be paddling the Dee and different views on the best way to get an acceptable access agreement.
I still think that with no agreement many are happily paddling all the time and it will take a very generous agreement to be acceptable to those paddlers.
Can anyone tell us what would be an acceptable aggreement?
Also, when was the last meeting with the landowners/anglers and when is the next?
Vivienne Mugford

Retro

Post by Retro » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:50 pm

sorry i couldnt sit back and just read these posts go in.

I cant understand why, because i'm a slalom paddler i have the responsibility to go on march for rivcer access on the Dee.
Granted, i, like everyone dont want to see another fantastic slalom go off our calendar(and thanks to all those who are fighting so hard) but i cant see why i would have to give excuses to why i didnt turn up for the protest.......
If your reading this..........you've just wasted your time.

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:21 pm

Why do you have a "responsibility"? Because as a slalom paddler you need access to a river to train and to compete, and right now you have that as a favour with no recourse if it's taken away from you. You don't have to do anything yourself, but it would make it easier if everyone mucked in...

Please realise this is not just about the Dee, it's about access to rivers across the whole of England and Wales.

Steve