Access the next step! - BCU EGM

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
blib

Post by blib » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:39 pm

Names & BCU No. are being collected to organise a call for an EGM to try to get the BCU to address the access issue head on. Please follow the link below for the full details on Thames Weir Project.

BCU EGM

For the record I kayak rivers, play polo, play boat, C2 slalom (Sadly not on the Dee though!) & surf and I really would like to be able to get fair access to rivers across England & Wales.

Simon :-)

SteveM
Site Admin

Post by SteveM » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:08 pm

Cheers Simon :thumbsup:

For those who've not heard it, the Llangollen demo also made it into quite a good balanced report on Radio 4. Click here... (needs Real player)

Steve

Ray

Post by Ray » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:42 pm

Interesting report. Thanks for posting it Steve.

rockfinder

Post by rockfinder » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:51 pm

Agreed! Thanks :thumbsup:
Many (too many) years ago I was an angler - not a very serious one - and so I can sort of see both sides of this argument.
I am not convinced about the argument that paddlers disturb fish - on our local canal, fishing comps are common and I can't believe that kayaks (polo boats) create any more disturbance to fish than the regular passage of barges and motorised pleasure craft. VERY long carbon rods however do somewhat limit the options for paddling past them!
In my years in canoeing, my experience has been that paddlers, for all that they tend to be a lively laid back bunch, DO respect and appreciate the countryside - their sport depends on it - and are not knowingly destructive to fisheries.
Working together, as in all conflicts, is the only way.