Short Boats

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:25 pm

I thought after the weekend there would have been more comments on here, any, good or bad are welcome.

Some interesting comments coming out from abroad.

Sam Oud the dutch internationalist and olympic finalist won the Lippstadt sprint in the Scimitar 75+ against Vajda, Nomad and Caiman designs.

The Irish squad are testing the Paradox as they think it has good possibilities.

So come on folks, they are all there, try them and let us know what you think.

slalom boy

Post by slalom boy » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:42 pm

i would say thats more to do with the fact that he is built like a brick s£$* house than the design of the boat.

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:47 pm

Pretty good description of Sam, I must admit Iwould not like to argue with him.

He is a big lad, 92kgs, and he wasn't convinced about the design and did not think it would work for him, but it was all that was left in the factory.

What did surprise him was how easily the boat accelerated and how fast it was in comparison to other boats which were being paddled at the event by other international paddlers.

He is now using that boat as the basis to develop a boat for himself, the prototype is being paddled at Augsburg this week.

So all us paddlers needing a big boat should have a good option available soon, rather than just a built up seam line.

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:35 am

i have just come back from the tyne tour and i came 1st female and 2nd k1 im a scimitar 65 i beat 2 4 meater boats but i was beatern by an old man in an old boat so its to do with the paddler and the boat

c1er

Post by c1er » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:18 am

i think the scimiter is a lot like polo boars in the ends and probably digs into the water alot. the c1 i find is wiered because it turns quite flat but with speed and i actually find it hard to get up to speed.

weight:56kg
boat : hybrid

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:52 am

Dear C1er

You threw me there, I wondered where Polar bears came into the conversation.

Your comment about the Scimitar is exactly the comments which were made about short boats from day 1. It wasn't until people actually got in them and paddled them that they realised their original thoughts were wrong, but they had to paddle them first to discover this.

The Stimulus was a first try at a short C1, for the lighter dutch paddlers prepared to change their style a bit to suit the boat more, it works very well.

What problems did you have gettting it up to speed, too twitchy, was the nose under water or too much in the air.

Did you try 50 metre sprints and compare times?

c1 'er

Post by c1 'er » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:33 pm

polo boats* i dnt know i just found it difficult the nose would dig and stuff, when i got to top speed it was slow anyway, i thinking hybrid are a lot faster boats. there are quicker boats with better turning than the stimulas the vajda c1 is a good example of a good boat, its quick and turns well. i just cant understand the messed up shape with the DD its like someones hand slipped down and they couldnt be arsed to fix it. im sure the top guys think similar. isnt it funny how none of the top guys bar mark procter like the boat, some even refuse to padle it. that alone should speak for itself

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:57 pm

Sounds like a good time to announce the new C1 coming from Double Dutch.

Its being developed by Stephan Pfanmoeller and all the feedback so far is very positive. I hope to have a demo boat here soon.

unrgistered

Post by unrgistered » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:43 pm

well done maybe DD will finally get a decent short boat :devil: :p

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:06 pm

Which short boats have you tried then?

Post by guest » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:09 pm

from DD? scimiter 75 and the stimulus did not the give best impressions of what DD could do and dont get me started on the colours...

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:13 pm

Oh go on.

Post by guest » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:45 pm

i dont want to hurt your feelings :laugh:

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:39 pm

Thank you for being so considerate, but the only way to improve things is to take the criticisms on the chin and make sure we learn our lessons well.

I'm told the demo boats are shades of blue red and purple, being colour blind i have to rely on the information people give me.what colours are they ???

James

Post by James » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:38 pm

I am thinking double dutch need seamless designs for the top constructions. And a boat design that is similar to the optima (but short)