Short Boats

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
steve

Post by steve » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:18 pm

Here's what i'm looking for in the a new boat. Very good acceleration, sharp turning ability, and good stability with the tail down. I lack acceleration with my 4m boat, particularly on staggers and outo of upstreams. I'm not too bothered about the boat holding it's turning momentum through to forward momentum, if it has good lightning fast turning ability. I'm about 78kg so the 4orce 365 seems like the boat for me, but is there really much to gain by being 15 cm above the min length? Any ideas on what i should choose?

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:25 pm

I would also try the red Slingshot 75, the Scimitar 75, the Ballista, the Paradox and the Vajda, they will all take your weight. 3 are 350cm and 2 are 360+.

You need to test them properly, not just a quick 5 mins to get a bit of a feel. Have someone watch you in them all, make sure your not stalling below the gateline. Most people are looking for that squirt out of the upstream gate.

Consider the extra 15cms as something for nothing, I dont think many boats will have it next year.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:53 pm

What is the most popular boat so far? I hear the scimitar 85 is quite good. Apparently the 75 doesn't run as well on the water as a cut down 85, but that's just opinion.

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:55 pm

To the best of my knowledge the most popular in this country so far is between the Vajda and the Slingshot, I dont know about the Force 365, its not been available that long. The Spanish and the Japanese like the Scimitar.

Huw Swetman has the only Scimitar 85 at the moment, I dont have a demo yet. We do think the 85 with slightly more volume around the cockpit could be better than the 75, but we are still awaiting feedback.

The Ballista came from the Scimitar, Huw thought it was good, but the Scimitar was better for him.

Again you can only try them and see which one suits you the best.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:46 pm

Good point, but i'm interested to know the properties of the boats, has anybody paddled the galasport boats yet, the canny and stitch? how about the caiman boats? http://www.caiman.cz/slalom_en.htm

anthony brown

Post by anthony brown » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:22 am

One of the most popular boats in europe has been the Caiman Premier, lots of international paddlers have been changing to this boat. Its not as short as the other boats but at 377cm it offers good forward speed and responsive turning. Good for paddlers between 70-85kg. In testing on the flat water it was much faster than the long boats and testing on the course has been very good as well. The boat is very stable on the turn, both flat and with the tail under the water.

sporty dave

Post by sporty dave » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:14 pm

looking at the Galasport website it looks like they have gone for the slightly longer boats too. It would be interesting to have a paddle in them.

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:11 pm

i thought that that was a hole not shorter or you could do what M.L did and see if it works for you :D

joe coombs

Post by joe coombs » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:03 pm

Just tried my new Slingshot 75 for the first time.

I am very pleased with it, it turns very well and is not too bad in a straight line over short distances.

It also came really quickly!

:laugh: :cool:
Never Fall In!!!