Entry Fees - Why are juniors being charged 2 much

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:57 pm

Guest wrote:I suggest that Geebs helps oganise a race or two to see how much time and effort and expense are involved.

I can also confirm that at premier and div one races, the electronic timing is NOT questionable and certainly doesn't rely on Tutty and stopwatches.

In addition, if we have reduced fees at prem/div 1, then organiser's will struggle even more to break even, due to the fewer participants. Yes, artificial courses tend to have higher costs than a natural river, so how is a lower fee going to help when many races are held on artificial courses eh?

Finally, there have been changing rooms at Tully for quite a while now, plus a permanent toilet block at Washburn. These don't just appear for nothing you know.
"I suggest that Geebs helps oganise a race or two to see how much time and effort and expense are involved"

You may like to know that I spend nearly every weekend helping or organising events so I am fully aware of the cost implications.

I also spend many hours a week coaching youngsters in slalom and other disiplines.

I don't get paid for any of this, so sorry mr Frontman2, I do know what I'm talking about :ohwell:
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

James

Post by James » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:44 pm

then why do you want the entry fees reduced if you know how hard every one has to work?

and please dont say to encourage juniors. Any junior in prem or division 1 will not hold back from slalom races because of 10 pounds a day to enter each race.

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:48 pm

Juniors are elligible for senior prizes (ie 1st 2nd and 3rd) If they don't win one of those they can also win one of the Junior prizes. The only prize they can't win is the DV prize and quite right too :laugh:

Conclusion : Juniors should be charged extra.

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:45 pm

Ok k1 i am a div 1 paddler and i am not on start as im not in the top 25% but i still go to div1 / prem races so are you saying that as im not on start i should have to suffer with high entry fees and a lack of coaching as i started slalom later than the average age???????

How many juniors do you know that have not got a job to help pay for them to race or for water fees to go training???
i dont know that many.

Dave so you think that us juniors should pay more for a race as there is more chance of us getting a prize well i have been in div 1 for a while and have not got a prize yet and it is not always the juniors that get all the prizes but is it not the same in all div's that the juniors seem to get all the prizes so why the sudden change on how you are going to treat juniors????????

And by the way i do c1, k1 and c2
I am in div 2 for c1 and with the charger for div 1 events im not planning on going for promotion as i can not afford two lots of div 1 charges and any way i can not go any further as im not able to go on to start or race in intrenationals sp this is holding back or proventing female c1 paddlers and it is not easy racing against males is it ????

iccle smurf

Post by iccle smurf » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:25 pm

As a ferly new commer canoe babe 88 u may not know this lass- but sally elland tryed to promote c1 for girls- internatioonalls arent interested and world classs is far from it as well as many of the loder c1 males. 2 years ago at stone she recieved alot of slaggin for entering in a c1 and this was by people who should promote it. I dont see y they would sudenly listen to any one els on this matter not as she was in div 1. Start doesnt give a great deal towards race entries and deffo not as much as the scotts geet to cover these prices.
I agree about the point of it not only being juniors that win prizes- how many dv's are there in prem in c1?

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:10 pm

ok i dont think that i will go any further in c1 as it is not an international event and i do not get that much out of it but how about equal rights females should have the same rites as men and i dont think that putting them together in c1 is ok when they are seperate in k1 ok i know that most of the females would be in div 1 /2 and proberbly no higher if k1 was together but would ant it bring more females into c1 if they did not have to race against males as it is known that men are stronger.

frontman2

Post by frontman2 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:34 am

OK Geebs, you organise events and obviously give up alot of your time to encourage the sport, so a thumbs-up there. As a result though I am even more puzzled about your earlier comments. I still don't agree with your points about timing and facilities, so no, I don't really see where you're coming from.

I don't know a lot of people who do get paid for helping to organise slaloms or doing some coaching (excepting WCP of course).

k1

Post by k1 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:15 pm

canoebabe. The fact is that its not only canoeists who have part time jobs. A lot of school kids have jobs to pay for their hobbies and interests, whatever they are. Do you think that children should be charged less for a CD than adults just because they are younger? Essentially this is what you are implying. Each competitor receives the same service at a slalom event so why should juniors have to pay less? ALL juniors pay less to the BCU for membership and most clubs have a lower membership rate for juniors.

Just because you turn 18, it does not mean that all of a sudden you become rich overnight. If junior fees went down then the senior fees would have to increase to cover costs. Why should adult paddlers have to suffer. Make the most of the discounts you do get at the moment for being a under 18 not just in canoeing because once you turn 18, you will be glad that the one thing that doesnt cost you more is entry fees.

beefy

Post by beefy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:34 pm

i have a part time job and i wuite manage to paddle pay race entries an also spen lots of money on my bikes y dont you manage your time more effectivley and get a job just even on one night a week

iccle smurf

Post by iccle smurf » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:44 pm

I agree with u K1 Why should juniors not pay as much in race entrys as seniors. A 'junior' couldnt walk in to mc donalds and say hey im a junior i deserve a cheeper price for my meal than my dad! (unless its a happy meal). Within canoeing juniors do get reductions on other things as well.
Canoe babe- I dont have a job to cover my canoeing and y perants certanly dont pay for my race entrys! thats when you have to write letters and get in contact with people and get sponsorship. Are you saying that students that are over 18 and at uni should get a reduction esspecially if they are doing a full time degree as they wont have time to work.
If every one payed less no clubs would make a proffit therefore no one would run the races in the first place.
In reply to the c1 comment if you look at the ammount of men in the c1 ranckings in the bottom you have loads becauese they try all dicaplines at the beggining. but neaer the top eg div one there is not as many - granted this year there was an increase! It starts to make no point in running the race for that catergory as it is not cost effective and if prizes are made all ready then you have in a ratio more prizes than in k1 prizes (if you understand?)
I guess my point is that there is less girls in the sport any way so there would be even less in the c1w division. The less people there is the harder it is to get poiunts then the only waty to get promoted is y winning all the events!

Jimi3000

Post by Jimi3000 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:39 pm

yer until more people do slalom there is no point in spliting it up into more and more divisions.
its not a case of equality just that they cant feasibly do it. Its the same with women in c2's and mixed c2's. If the sport was bigger then there would be seperate divisions for these too, but it isn't... so there aren't

iccle smurf

Post by iccle smurf » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:46 pm

i obviosally agree with u there jimmy. Someone at least understood what i was tryin to say. I think every one should actively try to promote slalom. I realise organisers and every one like that does im not knockin what any one does all ready - i meen more for the athleates to do! find small local clubs etc.

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:30 pm

Most slaloms make very little money. The entry fees at the lower divisions barely cover the costs of the event, and the water fees for the division 1 /Premier events soak up a good proportion of the extra money taken at these events. Competitions are not generally run to generate revenue for the organising club these days - in fact if they decided not to run the event , but get all the volunteers that would have helped at the event to donate their petrol money instead they would usually be much better off.

If there is any savings to be made, it would have to come from the BCU levy. I'm afraid I haven't the patience to study the accounts to find if our money is being well spent.