Entry Fees - Why are juniors being charged 2 much

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:52 pm

The new entry fees have been posted for 2005, why is it that junior members get a reduced fee in every other division except Prem & Div 1???

Do the organisers think that by a miracle when they reach that stage there is a sudden increase in the parents earnings?? so they can pay these fees and aimlessly trip around the country to fit in the reduced events???

I thought the aim was to encourage youngsters to become the athletes of the future,, not shoot them in the foot when they have done well???

This to me is not the right atitude to take to encourage young people into sport :verymad:
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

James

Post by James » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:43 pm

no, because they encourage you in to the sport through out the lower divisions.
Then mace you in the face when you get to div 1 + prem : >

Any way, your over reacting way to much

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:04 pm

James wrote:no, because they encourage you in to the sport through out the lower divisions.

Exactly the point I'm making

Geebs

James wrote:no, because they encourage you in to the sport through out the lower divisions.

Geebs

beefy

Post by beefy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:13 am

sureley it doesent matter how old you are you still eed the same time down the corse the same timing and overall what does change that costs the organiser more money when you become a senior

beefy

sureley it doesent matter how old you are you still eed the same time down the corse the same timing and overall what does change that costs the organiser more money when you become a senior

beefy

beefy

Post by beefy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:14 am

c1mini

Post by c1mini » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:46 pm

i think for some reason this board seems to like to double triple and quadrupal post, dnno why???

But prices are high once you get into div1 and prem but if u get that far surely you are going to carry on canoeing so the prices wouldnt make u not want to race. Plus without money events wouldnt be able to ran. so there is point to it
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares?... He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:08 am

But if the enty fees were a reasonable price, it would attract more entries and people would go for promotion rather than thinking they were going to get ripped off??

When you look at the entries for Div2 compared to Div1 & Prem there are more entries for the lower level, this does not mean that paddlers are not capable of reaching the higheer div's it means they do not want to get there because there are less events and it costs more per entry. :;):

frontman2

Post by frontman2 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:31 am

Do you know for sure that this is the case? Are paddlers really not bothering to try and get promoted to prem because of the cost? Hmmm, not sure about that one.

Whatever the reason, prem is a small division because it is supposed to be for the best and like most sports, this top division is meant to be fairly exclusive. As such, it is bound to require a higher entry fee in order to make running races economic for the organiser.

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:09 am

:( \If you unhappy about entry fees then get your club to but a motion at the next Slalom ACM

Jim Slalom Admin

James

Post by James » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:16 pm

Geebs wrote:But if the enty fees were a reasonable price...

Ha ha ha

I can see you are only making this point for conversation on the slalom board.
Its not a “rip off” or an “unreasonable price”, considering how much they provide you with on a race day.

You stated that it is the juniors that don’t get the discounts in the higher divisions. In your most recent post, you went on to say how there are more entries in the lower divisions than div 1 and prem (in all age groups). The discounts juniors receive in the lower division unfortunately in your case doesn’t have much affect on weather seniors ect enter.

basicly, you are drifting from your primary point

Paddler parent

Post by Paddler parent » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:19 am

As the one who has to pay, why shouldn't there be differential fees for juniors in div1/prem. Yes, it's the same time on the water, the same timing, judging, etc., but this is already reflected in higher fees for these divisions. It seems unreasonable to have split fees for the other divisions - are the lower divs not judged, etc., even if they are not electronically timed?
Since juniors have to compete against seniors for points, at least let them have some discount for their 2 x 2 minutes (or less) on the water! As Jim says, the AGM is the place to debate this so let's have someone push this motion forward. A junior rate wouldn't cost much to implement but it would make a difference to quite a few parents who've already paid through the nose to get their offspring onto the water, through the divisions and to the races.