Trent tummy or a dodgy curry - (Mrs Pingu would like to know)

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Pingu

Post by Pingu » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:28 pm

Woke up this morning and felt a bit strange. Went to the bathroom and was violently sick and suffering from diarrhoea. I've spent all day in bed and am just starting to feel a bit better.

Over the weekend, I'd:

1. Had a short paddle at Pierrepont on Saturday.

2. Paddled at the Stone mini Slalom on Sunday.

3 Enjoyed a takeaway curry on Sunday night.

Anyone else suffering any symptoms or shall I have to tell Mrs Pingu it was probably the curry!
Out of Darkness cometh Light

SarahC

Post by SarahC » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:11 pm

well I was at nottingham on sunday and the stone mini on the sunday but had no curry, which suggests it was the curry, however i know that stone was quite polluted on sunday and after your heroic swim you never know...
xXx Sarah xXx

canoebabe88

Post by canoebabe88 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:26 am

Try drinking Coke a Cola, (not Pepsi or any other of the variants) after paddling it kills some of the enzimes in polluted water, especially after paddling at HPP and other river white water courses.

It works well and is recommended by some of the whitewater safety course providers.

beefy

Post by beefy » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:42 am

thats a very debatable point.
there is this veiw but it hasnt actually been proved i have never actually been ill afta paddlin at nottingham and i have been there in some very bad water times

John Sturgess

Post by John Sturgess » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:28 pm

(a) Ref Coca Cola: it works because unlike the other fizzy drinks it contains Phosphoric Acid - a key ingredient of medicines like Lomotil

(b) However the hospitals etc that use it recommend letting it go flat - otherwise the fizzyness can have the opposite effect

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:51 pm

Thanks SC, CB88, B, & JS.

I've been away for a few days and have only just read the replies.

As no-one else seems to have suffered the symptoms, it looks like it was the curry! Makes sense as I've paddled loads of times at HPP and Stone and never been ill.

However, just to be on the safe side, from now on I'll keep a bottle of (flat) coke in the car to drink after paddling!
Out of Darkness cometh Light

c2canoeslalom

Post by c2canoeslalom » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:23 pm

I personally heard the NWSC was being sponsored by Coca Cola haha

jon lords hammond

Post by jon lords hammond » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:51 am

as i'm a keyboard player in a rock band i'm not medically qualified therefor cannot comment on whether or not you illness was the result of paddling at HPP. However, me and my big brother were talking the other day about the sprint race there having at nottingham for the river racing world cup in and just how emmbarassing it could be to the BCU if all the top international river racers come down with a mysterious illness after racing the trent and are then too ill to do the world cup race on washburn 3 days later, just exactly how bad is that gonna look. :O

beeble

Post by beeble » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:19 pm

I am ill most times after paddling at HPP. Could be something to do with the amount of time I spend upside down!!

Joe Stevo

Post by Joe Stevo » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:20 pm

Is that you jezza? in a rock band eh!! it was prob notts that made you ill but afta you have been ill a couple of times from there you usually get immune to it and your stomach becomes like steel and you will never throw up again!! muhahahahahahahahahahahahaha :angry:

Ray

Post by Ray » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:51 pm

I paddled HPP on 22/23 Jan. Yet again I was ill after - sickness, dizzyness, diarrohea. This time it only lasted 3 days!