Spray paint - Boat weight and spray paint

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Phil Mcdonagh

Post by Phil Mcdonagh » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:19 pm

Just wondering why, apart from to mark the boats for boat weighing. Why is it that classy boats that u pay a lot of muhoney for have to get a fluorescent green BUNNY or a Pink star sprayed onto them with perminant spray ,why not something a bit classier. ANY ideas on the point of it apart from the obvious to mark the boat ???

Didn't happen before

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:18 pm

I too didn't fancy the prospect of a season's collection of strange symbols.

30 seconds with a bit of white spirits after each weekend has got rid of them both.
Out of Darkness cometh Light

Phil Mcdonagh

Post by Phil Mcdonagh » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:54 pm

SWEET thanks that ill do me cheers

Fison100@hotmail.com

Post by Fison100@hotmail.com » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:43 am

:p i thought it looked class the little bunny rabbit in green. I do hope there will be no more paint going on my boat aswell. The only time that there will be is when i entre an International race to mark that you have been. Surely a sticker that you could remove ???

Bus Driver

Post by Bus Driver » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:52 pm

I think you will find that anyone who asked how to remove the paint used to mark boats this season, was told that a little white spirit and some elbow grease will do the trick.

The reason that a sticker which can be peeled off was not used, is because it can be peeled off and could, if someone was not 100% honest, be put on another boat!

I guess you could take this up with the committee but i guess the answer would be no paint no race. ???

Sam C

Post by Sam C » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:10 pm

I think that spraypainting the boats to show that they are the right weight is a good idea. Maybe the slalex could find a paddler that does art or design, so some new stencils could be made? (pics of waves, paddles or boats maybe be an idea, and could have the name of the race in it)
Any thoughts?
Sam

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:36 pm

You have got to bear in mind that it is a school computer and laser cutter that is being used to provide the templates for the markings on the boats and I beleive that this is not being charged for by the school for this service.

The same school has provided most of the computers that are being used for the slalom results for the Div1/Prem events.

I will not name this school but let it be said that it is in Doncaster the home of canoeing :cool:
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

phil m

Post by phil m » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:48 pm

I agree with sam it dont take a lot to carve a bit of cardboard into a shape especially with the old stanley knife

I recon style is whats needed

simple but SWEET :cool:

beefy

Post by beefy » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:47 pm

i think defenatley for the big international race the sprays will be more complicated but time is of the essaance and you cant use carboard for the purpose as it soaks up the paint