Short Boats - what is best

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
frontman2

Post by frontman2 » Mon May 16, 2005 8:25 am

Just an aside, but don't forget Richie, C2s are still over 4m long even with the new boat lengths!

Other than that, I agree with you that personal preference come into it. try some boats, see what you like and then decide. It's better to have a good platform that allows the paddler to race in the style that suits them.

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Mon May 16, 2005 9:05 am

Guest wrote:having seen the selection results it looks like the tuscan is definitley the best boat as far as the result show

K1, I think that what the junior selection results show is that at the end of October, the Tuscan and the Force were the most popular designs available at that time. The juniors going for selection were advised to get into a short boat as soon as possible so they made their choice based on what was available.

Senior selection will be different though, I dont think any of the serious contenders are in a Tuscan. On the International scene, both the Slingshot and the Scimitar are already winning races.

Boat durability does appear to be a factor which needs to be considered, personally I have no worries about our Double Dutch constructions, they are still as good as they have been over the past three years, our tails are not cracking in normal use and apart from the demo boat which had the nose broken whilst cartwheeling, the noses are not breaking either.

There is lots of good advice on here about choosing a boat and at the moment there is probably more choice than there has ever been before, but the best advice of all is try them all and then decide which one suits you the best, dont buy a boat just because someone else paddles it. Make sure you are happy that it is the best boat for you.

PaulR

Post by PaulR » Mon May 16, 2005 8:44 pm

Talking of the great slingshot, i was looking to try it out one day last week ish at HPP,but i couldnt find it??where has it gone 2??and any chance of having a quick session in it soon?

Tar

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Mon May 16, 2005 8:54 pm

The 65 is in Scotland, but should be back in HPP either this weekend or selection weekend.. The 75 is available by speaking to Neil Buckley.

Bus Driver

Post by Bus Driver » Mon May 16, 2005 9:36 pm

I do not intend to come on this board and "sell" Caiman boats or get into a "bun fight" with others on this board who have an interest in a certain make of boat. All I will say is this, great results do not mean great boats, all the top paddlers paddle the boat they paddle because they (a) like it or (b) get it free or at a special deal or both. Any one looking for a boat should paddle as many demo boats as possible and then buy the one that they like best.

If anyone would like to try any of the following they will be at HPP this weekend coming 21st / 22nd may.

Premier 358 cut for 65kg
Premier 362 cut for 75kg
Maxtreme cut for 80kg
Cadetto cut for 60kg

The acrobat c1 may be there if it is fitted out in time

Caiman :)

noodle

Post by noodle » Mon May 16, 2005 10:20 pm

nahh man, get a force or energy. they feel amasing and every one uses them.

Have a go in one and you will love it.

I would say the energy is the best boat around for the lighter paddlers but try the force and you may like it more

hello

Post by hello » Tue May 17, 2005 8:24 am

nice of noodle to go against everything everyone is saying! I personally didn't get on with either the force or the energy, the boat just doesn't feel right. but i guess thats just my opinion and others could well like it.

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Tue May 17, 2005 11:30 am

Bus Driver wrote:Any one looking for a boat should paddle as many demo boats as possible and then buy the one that they like best.
Couldn't agree more.

Neil

Post by Neil » Tue May 17, 2005 2:01 pm

get a blue boat they are the best.

noodle

Post by noodle » Tue May 17, 2005 7:49 pm

Guest wrote:nice of noodle to go against everything everyone is saying! I personally didn't get on with either the force or the energy, the boat just doesn't feel right. but i guess thats just my opinion and others could well like it.
Ya, thats cos I would know

Train2Win

Post by Train2Win » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:36 am

If I was you I would pick up a 2nd hand boat from a junior or female paddler if possible. If you are 50Kg, then the Nomad designs might suit you, my advice would be to try the Force 360 and see if you like it as it is the boat you are most likely to find on sale second hand.

The advantages of a second hand boat are:

a) I take it you are quite young and so you'll proably be growing and may well need a larger volume boat at some point.

b) You are in Div 3. and may well still be sussing out how you like to paddle and your style etc. and so you might want to change boats because you've found you e.g. like a boat that turns well on the tail/flat, or you like a fast running/fast turning boat.

c) You don't want to end up trashing a nice new boat, at least if you wrap a 2nd hand boat around a rock you won't just have blown £900+!!

I don't paddle a Nomad btw, just in case I'm accused of being biased, but IMHO I think that the force is an exceptionally good boat for very light paddlers and is probably the boat you are most likely to find second hand.

Your best bet to find a 2nd hand boat btw is to either come to Nottingham for the selection weekend and see if any are on sale or check the small ads on the canoeslalom.co.uk website.

Good Luck Steve!

julie

Post by julie » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:16 am

Hi there,
I have a current short boat for sale, It is the caimen premia and i am lokking for arround £450. It has been paddled for 6 months and theres very little damage. if you want to contact me my number is 07708514162.
Julie Bright

Alice

Post by Alice » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:40 pm

Heya im selling a nomad force 360, only been used for 5 months and in pretty gud condition. If interested please email allym_88@hotmail.com
Cheers:)

Janine

Post by Janine » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:42 pm

I am going to be selling my blue and white nomad force 360 at the end of the season. I got it at the start of the season so i have not had it that long. It is not damaged and is in a very good condition.
If you are interested email me at
ja9d1ck1e@hotmail.com