Short Boats - what is best

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
steve h

Post by steve h » Fri May 06, 2005 5:24 pm

i am in div 3 and my coach recommended that i bought a new boat and i was just wondering which type of boat was best and where to find them.
More Canoeing,less working

c1mini

Post by c1mini » Fri May 06, 2005 5:44 pm

are you a k1 then or c1?
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares?... He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.

craig

Post by craig » Fri May 06, 2005 5:45 pm

Hi there,

The short boats from Nomad have been popular to date, 2 models in the 'force' and the 'energy'. They are available to demo at most races on the calender one way or another and are also available in Nottingham on a daily basis.

If you wish to try one then give me a call or speak to anyone you see padlling one I'm sure they will be able to help.

Craig: 07713249677

Nomad are a British based. Other popular manufacturers include Vadja, Double Dutch and Caiman amongst others, all based in Europe. I'm sure their respective representees will post up with details of their offerings.

Hope this is of some help
Cheers

steve h

Post by steve h » Fri May 06, 2005 5:48 pm

i am k1

craig

Post by craig » Fri May 06, 2005 5:55 pm

That was a good guess eh the above boats are kayak!

Cheers

steve h

Post by steve h » Fri May 06, 2005 6:26 pm

thanks craig :D

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Sun May 08, 2005 11:04 pm

Double Dutch have just sold Scimitar number 130 and Slingshot 103, so they are pretty popular worldwide. We also have various sizes for paddlers from 55 kilos upwards.

There are demo boats at HPP and if that is too far to travel, give me a bell on 07979 816550 and we will try to arrange a test paddle for you in both models.

brights

Post by brights » Mon May 09, 2005 1:03 pm

Just to let you all know that Caiman demo boats are now available in the Uk. To demo a boat either see "the Brights" at events or e-mail steve.bright62@tiscali.co.uk

brights

Post by brights » Mon May 09, 2005 1:05 pm

This weekend at bala there will be the following demo boats availiable;

~ Cadetto - the short presedence cut for approximatley 60kg

~ Maxtreme - cut for approximatley 70kg

for more details please see The caiman website

Julies premier will also be for sale if anyone is interested

Soon there will also be the acrobat c1 and 2 premier's (at different sizes)

Train2Win

Post by Train2Win » Mon May 09, 2005 3:35 pm

If you are in Div 3 my advice would be to look out for a second hand short boat as many top paddlers have tried a few and might be willing to sell for a reasonable price. Also boatmakers like Nomad might have some ex-demos kicking around you could bid for.

As for the best boat at the moment..everyone seems to have a different opinion! For the heavier guys (75Kg +) the Slingshot and Scimitar have had positive feedback from top paddlers, with Richard Hounslow and Huw Swetnam in Slingshots and Euon and Eidan Rheinish in Scimitars. As for smaller paddlers the boat of choice at the moment seems to be the new Energy by Nomad, paddled by Kimberley Walsh, Neil Caffrey, and Laura Blakeman, tho the Force 360 is also a popular choice.

Other options include the Caiman Premier, the Vajda Tuscan and the Zig Zag 3.6.9.

In my opinion, it might be worth trying to have a go in a Force 360, as quite a few people have changed from the Force to the Energy recently so you might be able to get hold of one 2nd hand without too much bother!

Good luck deciding!!

steve h

Post by steve h » Mon May 09, 2005 10:31 pm

thanks. i will proberly be able to get down to hpp i don't live to far away. i will see when i am around. and can get a lift down there then i will give you a ring or put a reply on here thanks for the help. :cool:

thanks to everyone else aswell.

steve h

Post by steve h » Mon May 09, 2005 10:34 pm

does any one know how much they cost or any website that i can find a price list on

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Tue May 10, 2005 12:25 pm

Just bought boats for two of my kids, both Div 2 one opted for the Vadja Tuscan the other went for the Nomad Energy which seems a bit quicker on the sprints, The Tuscan cost £880 and the Energy £800 the plus with Nomad you dont have to wait 8 weeks, you would probably get it in 3 :;):
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!

Dutch Geezer

Post by Dutch Geezer » Tue May 10, 2005 3:41 pm

All the Double Dutch prices and constructions are on the website at www.doubledutchuk.com. our prices start from £650 for a really good hardwearing 9 kilo boat, well suited for a paddler new to Slalom who doesn't know where all those nasty little rocks are hiding.

Delivery time at the moment is about 3-4 weeks.

Best advice would be to try all the new designs and make sure that you get the one that suits you the best.

All the best

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Tue May 10, 2005 4:28 pm

Dutch Geezer is absolutely right try loads of boats, my kids sent me dizzy with all of the different boats out there.

My apologies to Dutch Geezer for not mentioning the Slingshot another very good boat that they both liked.

You will find most of these suppliers will actually let you use a demo boat for one of your runs if you ask nicely, I cant think of a better way to determine whether you like a boat or not.
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!