Any Info about Tacen?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
Smoggie

Post by Smoggie » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:05 pm

Does anyone have any information about Tacen? Things like; if it releases during the summer, and how often; if its open for general water use, and cost ; and any campsite's around there, and weather is cheaper there than other EU countries?
Cheers,
Sam C

Train2Win

Post by Train2Win » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:36 pm

Hi,

Having competed and trained at Tacen 3 times, I must say its a really good site, with big white water and an awesome drop. However it is a bit inconsistent and hard to race on. (Though Shaun managed just fine in 1991 when he won the Worlds there!)

The site is located just outside the capital city of Slovenia Ljublijana and so it is very convenient as you can fly to the city and then either get a hire car or maybe see if some nice Slovenian paddlers could pick you up.

Slovenia is more expensive since entering the EU in 2004 but it is still very reasonable compared with countries such as France and Germany. Though it is not as cheap as Slovakia and CZ it makes up for this by its beauty and relative feeling of being in Western Europe compared with SVK and CZ which are still a bit eastern block.

In the summer it generally releases quite often, tho its worth emailing someone out there to check. When I've been out there its been for a race and so there's been water every day. However if there is no rain I believe they might not release the water every day.

As for accommodation, there a lots of cheap B&Bs (called Pensions) near the course, which are very good for what you pay.

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:06 pm

??? For more information on Tacen and other waters in Slovenia go to www.kajak-zveza.si you can open the site in English then just follow the links.

The European Senior Slalom Championships are being held at Tacen 25/26 June and the course will be closed to non-competitors from Monday 20th June

Good Luck

Jim Slalom Admin

Smoggie

Post by Smoggie » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:16 pm

Thanks very much for the info.
Sam