ENTRY LIMITATION - Discrimination?

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
surveyme

Post by surveyme » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:41 am

"Tees Barrage Prem & Div 1

Sunday: The Division 1 event is now full and no more entries will be accepted."

Surely if you are running a "ranking" event, it is necessary (in order of equality and fairness to everyone in the division) to allow any and all entrants to participate if they want to. To limit entries (especially where this is not part of the original entry criteria or rules of competition) is discriminatory and does not lead to a proper final ranking list? Not everyone might be able to "book" their presence early enough - perhaps the reason for "late entry fees"?

Carlr

Post by Carlr » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:45 am

What you have to take into consideration at the Tees is the tide, there are only so many hours that the course can run before the lower level starts rising as happened this year and the C1 and C2 second runs didnt count. It was public knowledge that the entries would be limited (i believe by slalom committee) as it is in slalom year book, i am sure any newly promoted paddlers would have been given an entry.

Fairweather Paddler

Post by Fairweather Paddler » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:53 am

I accept why entries have to be limited at Tees. But why do officials get two counting runs while paying, ranking C1 & C2 paddlers have to rely on first runs for thier points? Surely when there is an issue that runs may be lost the officials should go last ???

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:14 am

Another way to be able to run more ranking paddlers would be to have no officials and have competitors judging this increasing the amount of time available.

JaneS

Post by JaneS » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:25 am

But why do officials get two counting runs while paying, ranking C1 & C2 paddlers have to rely on first runs for thier points?

The officials didn't get a second run on Sunday at Tees. And there weren't many paddling officials anyway on the Sunday.

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:39 am

One could argue that officals do pay for their entries - it's just that they pay with their time.

Given how hard it is to get judges at many events, perhaps they should be given priority!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Granddad

Post by Granddad » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:53 am

The rules govening entries are section 11. 11.2 states the deadline for entries to ranking competions shall be 15 days prior to the first day of the competition and 11.3 goes on to say late entries will not be accepted with various exceptions
12.2 states the organiser must accept entries which are correctly made and received by the closing date unless the published limit for the event has been reached

I think this anwers the first point in this thread.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:47 pm

Its well known Tees is limited. Last year I missed out as I didn't get my entry in in time, my fault, lesson learned, this year I made sure I got my entry in nice and early. Hopefully it won't be so much of an issue when the pumps are fitted.

I actually dislike late entries, particularly ones accepted on the day. They make a lot more work for the people running the event and often it can lead to delays starting the event.

What annoyed me this year was the entries put in by one paddler (all of which I assume where not paid for as they were RTC) and lead to my start being disrupted at Tully and Tees. At Llandysul I actually informed start as I took my place on the start line so they didn't disrupt my start yet again.

Presumably they will be billed for all their entries otherwise whats to stop everyone just sending an entry card in for every event with no payment included and then not turning up.

I guess they may have had a valid reason but they could have let the event organiser know so that the start list could be amended - freed up a place for someone else - perhaps they did and the organisers didn't update it - whichever way it was very annoying.

dsamartin

Post by dsamartin » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:57 pm

First of all thanks to everyone who helped for their support :D
Grandad is correct, the published limit of 100 imposed by the Slalom Committee was met and therefore both Prem and Div 1 entries were closed, the limit was clearly stated in the yearbook. Newly promoted paddlers were given entries in accordance with rule 11.3a.
All of the judges on the Sunday had one run only in an attempt to complete the division 1 event before rising water levels significantly affected the lower part of the course-this was due to flood conditions on the river.
We look forward (and I'm sure will everyone else) to next year when following major course renovations the event will not be governed by restricted water times.
I agree with Duncan, perhaps organisers should consider not accepting entries unless accompanied by payment-the start list on both dates was updated and used the latest information available to the organiser
Once again Thanks :D :D

Fairweather Paddler

Post by Fairweather Paddler » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:26 am

One could argue that officals do pay for their entries - it's just that they pay with their time.

What happened to volunteering for the good of the sport?

Speaking as someone who has had several 'official' roles at slalom events, and yet have never once done a judges run. Yes it is nice to get something back for the time you put in, but lets face it that is not always possible.

From my point of view all I ask for is a 'Thank you' - you would be surprised how many times even that is omitted!