Boat prices

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
mwilk

Post by mwilk » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:02 pm

Anyone heard any rumours about how the recession might affect new boat prices ?
Part of the reason for the price increase a year or two ago was the World shortage of carbon fibre [we were told]. I guess that if this is like most other commodities, it's price should have dropped back greatly since then.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:17 pm

The fall of the £ against the € has meant that the prices of some boats have sky rocketed. The Vajda I was looking at has gone up lots as have other manufacturers. I very much doubt that they will fall again now that the £ has started to improve.

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:30 pm

You can't expect prices to respond instantly, from what I can see there is only a slight improvement in the exchange rate since its drop. A couple of week ago it was 1.05, its now around 1.11, a year ago it was more like 1.35

So a 1350 euro boat a year ago would have been a £1000, 2 weeks ago it would have been £1285, this week it would be £1216.

Given the current volatility of the exchange rates and the small margins involved for the distributor I can't see any great change in prices until things are much better. With the lead times on boats it would be very easy for them to make a loss on each boat if they do anything else.

I am sure prices will drop back to more normal levels as exchange rates stabilise and demand (or lack thereof) means prices have to fall in order to make sales.

I guess its a good time to buy a british made boats if you want one quickly, otherwise its hang on until things sort themselves out, either that or agree a price and pay in advance at least that way the manufacturer and distrbutor are not putting their business at risk.

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:48 pm

Nomad provide top spec boats that are custom made and are a fair price which is not subject to the ever wavering euro :D :D

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:26 pm

The other way to guard against currency changes is to agree the price in the currency appropriate for the manufacturer and then buy that amount in currency so that it is ready to hand over at time of delivery.

That way, you know you have the correct payment regardless of exchange rate, but you also don't risk losing out if the supplier cannot deliver.

This is a bit late when we would now expect the euro to go in the other direction !!