Swine Flu and HPP - Testing will be needed

General slalom chatter...rant about the bad, rave about the good
katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:05 pm

If swine flu becomes more widespread, it might be as easy to catch swine flu from HPP water as viral gastroenteritis. It might be more likely (exposure to mucous membranes of nose, rather than ingestion required). PCR testing of the water would be advisable to assess the risk to paddlers - the centre could probably contact public health to arrange testing. :(

katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:52 pm

Correction : It'll be months before a PCR test is available (if at all), and a negative test wouldn't be a guarantee of safety.

Does anyone know about influenza survival times in water ?

This paper suggests it might be 30-600 days
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es900370x

80-1219672301

Post by 80-1219672301 » Fri May 01, 2009 12:06 pm

Firstly let me state up front - I am NO EXPERT - I have NO qualifications in this area whatsoever - however I can differentiate between popular sensationalism and serious articles in the press.

There are many accredited articles in the press and on-line that state categorically that swine flu is passed human to human - NOT through food etc.

This is from the Havard Medical School:

"the new swine flu virus can be transmitted between humans. It is not clear yet how easily it is transmitted, nor how it is transmitted. Almost surely it is transmitted by sneezing and coughing, and by skin-to-skin contact (like shaking hands or kissing) with an infected person."

So the order of the day is - WASH YOUR HANDS AND USE TISSUES.

The only difficulty I foresee with having paddled at HPP is possibly the confusion with symptoms

# Shortness of breath

# Persistent vomiting

# Confusion

# Dizziness

Certainly a couple of these you can expect as the norm after paddling the TRENT :)

So while I can understand peoples' concerns I personally don't think it is appropriate to set up a thread that can cause anxiety amongst the paddling fraternity and their families unneccessarily - especialy, especially the day before a big event at HPP!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Fri May 01, 2009 12:07 pm

I would guess you are more likely to catch it from someone in the crowd or from surfaces in the changing room.

As HPP is moving water I would guess there is little chance of catching it from the water and any testing will be pointless for the same reason.

Life is a risk!

80-1219672301

Post by 80-1219672301 » Fri May 01, 2009 12:15 pm

Well said :)

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Fri May 01, 2009 1:24 pm

I'm covered, I bought some oinkment!!

I did phone the NHS help-line but couldn't hear anything for the crackling.

I gather one of the symptons is a nasty rasher.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.....

briman

Post by briman » Fri May 01, 2009 2:24 pm

You only need topanic if you come out in rashers!

katonas

Post by katonas » Fri May 01, 2009 4:54 pm

How influenza gains access to nasal mucosa does not have to be person to person. Scientists squirt a solution of influenza up test subjects' nostrils, and it probably has a low infective dose. Millions of viral particles are release from infected cells. Despite this I will continue to paddle at HPP even if the disease becomes widespread. I'll have a much greater risk of catching it when I go to work, as will most of us. I might wear nose clips though when I paddle on water containing human sewage. IF (a big IF) it becomes widespread it'll probably only cause serious disease in those with co-existing chest /cardiac/ immune diseases. In trying to slow its spread we're really protecting these vulnerable groups until a vaccine is available, not ourselves. If infected, as with any viral infection paddlers should be aware of the need to rest to allow their immune systems to kill the virus.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Fri May 01, 2009 9:04 pm

What swine flu? Is it time I started buying newspapers or watching the news? All I ask is that someone tell me when the war is over please.

PB - Excellent LOVL here :D
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat May 02, 2009 8:44 pm

Its the femanist backlash against mail chauvanist pigs for introducing bird flu.

thats it, I am leaving the contry now before the fatwah
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sat May 02, 2009 10:54 pm

I think there would be more chance of winning the lottery than contracting swine flu from the water at HPP.

But, the chance of catching it from a human source at something like the Europeans is a possibility if someone has visited Mexico recently or has been in contact with someone that has.

You could also get run over tomorrow or have a heart attack!

It would not just be HPP that would be affected either, so stop scaremongering and get paddling :;):

Cheers Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Sat May 02, 2009 11:15 pm

This could bring a whole new take for "Deliverance II"

Hey Boy - Sneeze like a piggy! :p

katonas

Post by katonas » Sun May 03, 2009 10:25 am

Sorry if I scared anyone. I was projecting forward to a potential time perhaps this winter when the prevalence of the disease MIGHT be high (not looking likely at the moment), with thousands of people flushing away their tissues (instead of being binned as they should). Does anyone know about survival times in water? The constant media coverage doesn't help everyone take a calm attitude. Taking preventive measures won't mean you're scared, just like taking out house insurance doesn't mean you think your house will burn down. In this case its likely to be houses already threatening to fall down. Wearing nose clips in the winter wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience. The water board probably have much better viral inactivation procedures nowadays anyway. Sorry if anyone thought their paddling might be affected. :;):