Shepperton Div 1/2 2009 - Double Event - 7/8 March

Discuss past and future events
Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks for the update Dee, I heard 5 gates this morning and that scared me!!!

Will see you in the morning :-)

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:52 pm

Paddlemum. I read the paperwork that came with this years BRITISH Canoe Union Membership bumpf and it said I needed to display the enclosed boat licence on my boat and this allowed me to paddle on the rivers at events (or somthing like that). If you are Members of the BRITISH Canoe Union, as I expect you are to compete, surely the boat licence they would also have sent you will equally allow you to paddle on rivers at events? Or did Scotland leave the British Isles and nobody told me?
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

Ken Trollope

Post by Ken Trollope » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:04 pm

Perhaps you need to put your glasses on Peter if you look closely at the Logo on the sticker for the boat it says Canoe England.
If it is not on fire, it might be a software problem.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:07 am

Thanks to Dee and co for organising the event at the weekend. It was probably the longest slalom course I have ever done but it was also a good challenge!

On a side note (and nothing to do with the organisers) - a note for the ungrateful swimmer that had a go at the rescue team for taking you to the pontoon rather than the island - when you are swimming be grateful that someone has put in the effort to rescue you at all. A small THANKS is all that is required, not abuse.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:50 am

I read the paperwork that came with this years BRITISH Canoe Union Membership bumpf and it said I needed to display the enclosed boat licence on my boat and this allowed me to paddle on the rivers at events (or somthing like that). If you are Members of the BRITISH Canoe Union, as I expect you are to compete, surely the boat licence they would also have sent you will equally allow you to paddle on rivers at events? Or did Scotland leave the British Isles and nobody told me?

Unfortunately what is issued is an EA (Environment Agency) permit. The EA has no jurisdiction in Scotland where the equivalent Authority is SEPA. SEPA do not issue licences to paddle on rivers as it a legal right in Scotland. Hence that aspect is not included in Membership Priveledges for the SCA but is for Canoe England :cool:

We haven't left the British Isles - however we are at the forefront of developing a fairer and responsible view to access for all. Wales have picked up on this and are progressing discussion in their Assembly - regretably England seems to be missing out?

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:04 am

Ken Trollope wrote:Perhaps you need to put your glasses on Peter if you look closely at the Logo on the sticker for the boat it says Canoe England.
Oops! Ok Ken, you got me there! So much for common sense then! And there was I thinking we were on the road to river access for all :-( Anyway, lets stay on the Sheppers topic....

Joel, your courses have not got any shorter but they seem to remain just as entertaining! I still think that Sheppers must be the scariest place for Div 2 paddlers so a very big pat on the back to all who competed and an even bigger pat on the back to those who surfed the top wave to the second half of the course! Big kahoonas were called for!

I am not sure what the EA figures are for the gates at Sheppers but assuming a 2m deep x 1m wide opening for each gate and I reckon about 5m/sec flow (really moves through there!) that makes about 10cumecs per gate....3 gates means about 30cumecs. Yehaw!

Well done Dee, job done so now you can start preparing for next year! And if you want to finish earlier, get that tinker of a course designer to work out a way of getting a sub 90 second run time - at least for the Premsters! Should leave time for prizegiving before the sun goes down anyway :-)

Wifey and I had a great weekend and she also took more than 1000 images over both days so they should be uploaded in the next day or two. I will post a link here in due course for your viewing pleasure :-)

Excellent weekend! :-)
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

Dee

Post by Dee » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:08 am

job done so now you can start preparing for next year!

I wish it was done, still got all the results to check, print and post and the money to sort out etc etc.

BTW Prize giving took place at 5:30 on Sunday - well before sundown!

Not sure what we will be looking at doing next year, could revert to div 2 Sat/div 1 Sun so that we finish earlier or reapply for double and accept later finishing time. Jury still out on that one.

Glad you had a good weekend looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:15 am

Results Up.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

80-1219672301

Post by 80-1219672301 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 am

Hi Dee
I'm sure everyone here in Scotland will join me in saying a big thanks for the weekend event at Shepperton. It was well organised - wow long courses - good way to start the season :)

Really enjoyed it - even got a bit sun burnt on the Saturday!

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Good to know that you enjoyed it especially after coming all that way.

Dee

Post by Dee » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:32 pm

Sorry Folks
There was an error on the results for Div 2 K1M on Sunday. Nick has published the new version for me.

Serves me right for trying to do all the checking when I was so shattered after the event - next year I might sleep instead. :p What am I saying "next year" !!!

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:19 pm

Very belated thanks Dee to you and everyone else involved in the organisation. A great weekend! My vote is for a double 1/2 again if you can manage it. Thanks again.
Life is what happens when you're making other plans.