30 years - I must be MAD!!! - An alternative to the simulation race

Discuss past and future events
Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu May 12, 2005 9:15 am

Just over a week to go to the event of the season. Despite once again being hit by a 'World class' event being held at the same time (after all who on world class is interested in a div 3/4? ??? I have a list of all those who have said "sorry cant come, and can't bring others this time").

So what is special about this event? Well 30 years ago a callow youth started slalom at the first Peterborough event of the year. ??? and got promoted, winning the team event (remember those?)

The 'crew', at the time, Murley, White, Woodgate, Richardson all in kayak, ended up producing two GB C2 paddlers (different boats, different times) :blues: , two executive committee members, and a ranking compiler - or was it bib officer? and had lots of fun.

Roll forward 30 years in 1975 (and MANY Kilos) the rules have changed, but I still have not got any sense and am now running the event, and will probably paddel round this year. So roll up to help celibrate with me (or take the mickey).

As usual the aim of the event is to have fun. We will lend you boats if you want to try some other class, (or if we start the press gang to get events quorate). The course will have a fast route, and a route for those not so confident.

We have had 1 catch up in the last 5 years, and no protests - so we must be doing something right.

Camping is right by the weir - allowing easy 'roll out of bed and get in the boat' paddling.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Thu May 12, 2005 10:17 am

:cool: I agree Colin World Class are not interested in the lower events :( sad. But you are only a slip of a lad I started canoeing on the river Colne in Watford in 1948. But good luck with your 30th
Jim :laugh:

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Thu May 12, 2005 11:17 am

A bit unfair to say world class paddlers are not interested, some maybe.

I have 3 children who paddle, one in Div 3 who has entered your event, all be it Sunday only due to work, and two in Div 2, of which one has been intially approached by world class.

Both of these two are coming to paddle in a judges run if you want them. :O
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu May 12, 2005 5:53 pm

Hi Kev,
Judges are always welcome, the more we have, the less they have to do. (although if they fancy trying another class we have teh technology and will lend them the gear)

My minor gripe is that World Class paddlers ARE interested in coming to this level of event. But there was a breakdown of communications recently. Having an event on at the same time takes people away from my event - so we need more bums in boats!

On the bright side, this has been recognised, someone has 'volunteered' to be responsible for ensuring it gets better (not me im irresponsible), and I have had lots of telephone conversations regarding this clash.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Fri May 13, 2005 9:07 am

Colin I will talk to my offspring and see if they fancy something like C2, I could do with a laugh. :laugh:
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat May 14, 2005 3:45 pm

If it looks like being a quorate event the Lindesay's will do a div 3 C2 run too. Any chance of div 3 C1 being quorate? :D
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sat May 14, 2005 8:27 pm

Probably, I have promises for two people each day, and firm from 1 each day. So promises to be quorate.

A couple of others are considering it as well, and as usual there will be efforts made to get everything quorate.

So if you want Canadian points then 'Come on Down' (we can lend you the boat etc.)

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:28 am

Thanks to all who turned up and (hopefully) enjoyed it.

Sorry that I was not up to normal levels, must have been the virus that kept me off work for a week! :p

Anyway results were on the Proteus web site by Sunday night, Nick added them to canoeslalom later.

I have lots of photos to try to get on the site, and will post when they are available.

Colin

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:20 am

Ok, so after a recuperation I (finally) got the event pictures on the Website. of Proteus Canoe Club. They include a number of posing C1s, capsizing C2s, and images of a kayak pulling off an amazing upstream support - that may have had something to do with a strained ligament (ACU may want to review).

The 'Other' category includes rescues, spectators and prizegiving, so if you were ther we may have your photo (Huber family. . . )

I have bigger and better images of all, but not enough Web space for all the images. So let me know if you want some more.Image

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:15 pm

OK so no one told me that there was a broken link!
Now corrected so you can get to the 'other misc' pictures

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:46 am

Feeling better so should be up for a splash at teh next orton Event next weekend. See you there!:D