OSCARS 2005

Discuss past and future events
eastern slalom rep

Post by eastern slalom rep » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:03 pm

well everyone, the time of year has started to arrive when i think about repeating the social event of the year (well mine at any rate) - the oscars!

what i am trying to gauge is when to hold it. my two best ideas are at the last race of the season (one other good reason to do it nottingham) or the weekend of the ACM (the last weekend in november)

has anyone any thoughts or better ideas! cheers for your input!

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:56 am

How about at Llangollen - is that what you meant by the last event of the year?

Richie

Post by Richie » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:36 am

No, he means if we have the last race of the year in Nottingham, we can have it then. I think the logistics of organising the oscars in Llangollen are just too complicated, especially as Ettienne will more than likely be in Oz until only a couple of weeks prior to this date.
I know people like to race in Llangollen because of the history of the races there, but I think the circumstances with the European Champs next year calls for moving the second weekend race to Nottingham to attract more international paddlers. This will then allow Ettienne to organise the oscars for that weekend, which I think will be much better than having it the weekend of the AGM.

VivienneM

Post by VivienneM » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:40 pm

I can't believe there is discussion to move a race to Nottingham from Llangollen. People can (and do) paddle at Nottingham anytime - all the time -and there are so few opportunities for other good water in the UK. I feel some paddlers may be getting far too used to Nottingham and less adventurous to try the unpredictable. We loved the Oscars but Wales has venues too. We, for three, will feel really let down if Llangollen is ditched for any reason other than flood.

eastern slalom rep

Post by eastern slalom rep » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:09 pm

well, i have already said about how i would like one llangollen race and one in nottingham, but that is in another section. i am only wanting to say what richard said - that is organising the oscars in llangollen is something that i don't want to do. i think it would be asking for a disaster like not having enough seats or the food not being ready (oh, i think that already happened!).
so i am kind of waiting on the decision about the races but hoping to have an idea of when to hold the evening when it is finalised. keep the opinions rolling in!

Richie

Post by Richie » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:54 pm

Its not about being less adventurous, its about trying to put on a international race in Britain that has more than just a handful of overseas competitors.

Unfortunately, very few international paddlers are interested in coming over to Britain to race in Llangollen. Yes it can be a very good race site, but the last two years that I competed in Llangollen I wouldn't have said it could be classed as "good water in the UK." For the few years before last, its been a big dissappointment with the water being very low. I'm sure the Llangollen races would attract more international paddlers if we could garauntee a good water level, but we can't.

The fact of the matter is, we have a good chance here to put on a race in Nottingham and possibly get a good number of international paddlers competing. However, the longer we leave the decision, the less likely those international paddlers are to come over. :)

Post by guest » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:09 pm

Are there going to be any oscars this year?