62%
One race in Llangollen, one in Nottingham
21%
Both races in Nottingham
17%

Total votes: 42

Yester Years Kayak

Post by Yester Years Kayak » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:10 pm

VivienneM wrote:I am usually with Flick, the white beagle type dog with brown ears and neither of us bite.
- and the one wearing the muzzle is......hah, everyone at Shepperton knows the answer to that one!

Lest we forget, Llangollen is not just a good competition river for slalom, but WWR too!

There are a good few practitioners in both disciplines that are distressed to find that one of our best rivers (when the water levels are right) is yet again out of reach.

As for a quote....One of the few classic rivers in the UK for both Slalom and WWR that i have great "memories" of racing on. Canoeing needs this river to be open for use again, far more than it needs another artificial slalom course!

george

Post by george » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:45 am

Llangollen is better, much better and easier to run.

concerned paddler

Post by concerned paddler » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:39 am

I think the course designers and timing team would have something to say about that! It takes them a couple of days to set an event up in Llangollen, compared to a couple of hours in Nottingham. Thats not to say that I'm not dissappointed in not being able to compete in Llangollen, but until the WCA allow us to race while they sort out better access rights, we don't have much of a choice.

Anne

Post by Anne » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:20 am

For me as orgniser (and involved in setting out the coms at LLangollen) llangollen is much easier to run, at HPP i am also needed to set up th start list for the timing system and also run the timing (although the recent races I manages to escape that more than usually!) I agree the course erection is harder, but with more volunteers to help it would be a doddle. These races are run by the slalom committee on behalf of all paddlers, a small group of people who are already committed in someway or another to all races therefore we need assistance. At llangollen everyone seems happy to help unlike at HPP! Hopefully we will be back at Llangollen next year, I will do my absolute utmost to make this happen although our hands are a bit tied by the WCA and at present the BCU access committee are supporting them. However the local traders, landowners and town council have been meeting with the anglers and this direction looks very promising.

Yester Years Kayak

Post by Yester Years Kayak » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:54 pm

It would appear that wwr is also suffering in Wales, as the world championships at Bala next year have had the plug pulled on them due to financial reasons (which, in a nut shells sounds like the WCA wanted more than the BCU were willing to bank roll them - of course this may not be true).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/4443986.stm

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:11 pm

You are spot on!

gav

Post by gav » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:49 am

The backlash against the WCA seems to have started...

http://www.thamesweirproject.co.uk/forums....&t=9763

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:55 am

The reason the Paul McConkey Slalom was moved from its spiritual home on the Tryweryn to HPP, was the exorbitant water fees charged made it impossible to run without a large financial loss. :angry: :angry: :angry: