DRAFT, PROVISIONAL Managed Calendar 2006 - Thanks to Jim Croft for his work

Discuss past and future events
Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:07 pm

Not only is such behaviour totally unacceptable; it's also selfish and cowardly. Jim is the better man by far!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:09 pm

Jim, you have managed to do a thankless job very well. Our young paddler is division two and there is a great selection of water to choose from - brill! Looking forward to it. :D :D :D

Kev.S

Post by Kev.S » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:02 pm

Jim Croft, has work tirelessly for many years, and has allways done his absolute best, if anyone thinks that they can do a better job, speak up and give it a go!

As for the pathetic individual who called him, with not an ounce of backbone, to air their gripes openly.

We do not need that type of person on the slalom circuit. :angry:
To err is human, if you really want to screw up, use a computer!!

moyra

Post by moyra » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:31 pm

here here!!!!

people like Jim put a lot of time and effort into making sure things run smoothly within the sport, they give up there time voluntarily and with very little thanks.

Jim and others dont have to do any of the things they are doing and i think people who slag them, call them and basically complain because things dont suit them...ie the calender are selfish! ok, there might be certain events on the calender that is really awkward for some people....but at the end of the day it cant suit everyone! you just have to accept it. as a paddler myself who when i was at school struggled to get to events because i was at school on the friday and the monday around that race weekend i do understand how hard it is to make everything fit, but its something you have to accept. there is a awful lot of people within our paddling community who work, have school and other commitments, dates cant suit everyone!

Basically at the end of the day, i think we should show a lot more respect and appreciation for these people who give up there time to try and keep the sport running! ie, Jim, Anne and many others (to many names to mention).

If there is people out there who think they can do it better....stand up and say! why dont you voluntier and give up your time and see how you cope instead of criticizing others!!!

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:02 pm

I would add my appreciation for what Jim does and my condemnation of whoever made that phonecall.

But the point is not whether the calendar suits everyone, that is clearly impossible, it is why should a couple of complaints bring about an apparently unwarranted change in the dates?

There is clearly a lack of balance here since most of the comments have been supportive of the calendar prior to the most recent changes, and right or wrong people have had to book leave and accomodation in advance of the dates becoming official at the ACM. The fault on the paddlers side appears to be that we were not all leaping up and down saying how wonderful it was, equally the committee must take some of the blame for trying to introduce the latest revision as a compromise, (when clearly it is not!) But this last point cannot justify anyone behaving abusively to Jim.

I, and I expect many others, will be hoping that common sense prevails and the "original" dates are ratified by the ACM in a clear and cool-headed manner more appropriate to the sport we enjoy.

Tonka

Post by Tonka » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:53 pm

With reference to the previous comment. Why is it common sense to ratify the original calander ? Surely if this is done then you have sent a message out that if you do not like something phone up the Slalom Administrator and slag him off.

All I was trying to point out when I asked whether the dates for Grandtully could be changed was that if I was to travel up for the Easter week I would either have to take child out of school or not attend the Prem/ J18 race. I have spoken with parents in Surrey, Berkshire, London, Wiltshire and Hampshire and we all affected. Surely all the J18 competitors should have an equal chance and the new calender reflects this.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:11 pm

Tonka, you seem to have missed the point. The original calendar, as evidenced from the comments on this forum, suited the majority of paddlers, (it could never suit everyone, on that we all agree). Endorsing that set of dates can in NO WAY be seen to support one simple minded idiot who thinks that an anonymous and abusive phonecall is preferable to the relatively reasoned, if at times wearing, discussion on this forum. If you think that then you do a disservice to anyone else with a different, and equally valid, point of view, and I for one find the connection most objectionable.

You obviously felt aggrieved enough by the difficulties imposed by the "original" calendar to comment, which is fair enough. But if you wish to give all J18 competitors an equal chance then the revised calendar does not allow this. You forget that the majority of paddlers (and parent chauffeurs) who are constrained by school holidays live in parts of the country with holidays different to your own who are better served by the "original" calendar. The worry is that changes appear to have been made to suit a minority of those living broadly in the south, (and I do not wish to start the north v. south thing again, it's far more complex than that), without proper consideration of the effect upon the rest of the country, and which is self-evident from the reaction on this forum.

To reiterate, please do not make the mistake of lumping all those with concerns every bit as genuine as your own with one abusive idiot. All that does is to deflect from the very important concerns being aired here. Ultimately anyone with a conflict between school/university and competing has to make a choice.

Dee

Post by Dee » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:23 pm

I wonder what the longest thread ever was - have we broken the record yet
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:26 pm

Unless I misunderstood Guest,
I would add my appreciation for what Jim does and my condemnation of whoever made that phonecall
does not send out a message to slag off the Slalom Administrator over the phone. No-one has the right to do this , never mind the work that was put in to sort out the calendar.

It would be common sense to change back the dates as all but a very small minority of people seem to agree with the original calendar, whether or not it was "agreed by a democratically elected committee". The original calendar was the preference of the organising clubs, and would appear to suit most people, apart from the few who voiced comments against it. Why should the organisers have had to change things for this minority?

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:07 pm

I would beg to disagree with the guest before last (why can't you post under your name?) The origional arrangement does not give equal oppertunity to all Junior selection paddlers as many would have to go home on Easter Mon and travel back, up to 500 miles the night before the most important race in the season to them. Whereas the latter arrangement means EVERYONE can be there for the complete week before if they so wish. OK it may mean some people have to drive up friday night for the PAN Celtic but I would have thought that the l
that was much more preferable, except f course to those that sdon't want to be there untill the prem races. Can I ad Somerset to the list of areas that have the earlier hols!

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:14 pm

I would like to put the record straight the Managed Calendar is not in the remit of the Slalom Administrator, it is as a volunteer, where are the volunteers for the 2007 Calendar?

Jim Coft with a volunteer's hat on

Dee

Post by Dee » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:54 pm

Jim,

I may live to regret this, but I'd be willing to help if you give me some guidance.

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:17 am

Any help would be welcome it all kicks off in July drop me a line with your real name in the post and we can talk.

Thank you

Jim

Nick Brady

Post by Nick Brady » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:21 pm

Apologies for being somewhat late (retarded) in contributing to this thread. I have been away working and only this weekend discovered that the original Tully dates have been changed and that this amendment has triggered considerable discussion on these pages.

My two pence worth is as follows:

Thanks and praise are due to Jim Croft for volunteering to commit considerable time and energy to the completion of a difficult and thankless task.

Differences in British school holiday dates are currently an irritating fact of life, unlikely to be eradicated in the foreseeable future. Slalom races should be programmed to permit participation by the majority of paddlers, subject to any constraints on event organisers.

Whatever dates are decided upon, they need to be published well in advance and not changed thereafter.

Judging by the comments on this thread I am not alone in having to apply for leave well in advance. Moreover, everyone will agree that time spent away from work with the one’s they love is a precious and increasingly scarce commodity. Once valuable leave has been agreed many employees are unable to subsequently change those dates.

Hence, the consequence of this change of Tully date for me personally is that I will be unable to take my son to these important races. Vicky should be able to take him there, but my precious leave will be completely wasted, I’ll have to work when my family are on holiday in Scotland and I’ll be lumbered with a bill for cancelling our associated accommodation booking. I am therefore adding my voice to the majority who are calling for the original dates to be reinstated.

Looking to the future, it would be universally beneficial if the race programme could be finalized well before 26 November.

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:54 pm

Well you can keep the debate on up to the ACM, but at the end of the day, there are two sets of holidays at Easter and its those from London and the SE who have managed so far get it changed to suit their holiday dates:angry: Looks like the rest of the country will have to put with it.