Ironbridge - End of?

Discuss past and future events
katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:24 am

No Ironbridge event this yr or last. It would be a great loss if it never happened again. Anyone know if there will be a re-appearance next yr ?

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:10 pm

Cancelled last year because of work being dne - this year club did not want to run it. Another club did consider taking it on but the already have a hugh committment to events. Could be something a willing club could look into picking up?

katonas

Post by katonas » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:55 pm

Feedback from Telford Canoe Club (I think they were the organisers) would be useful to help prevent the same happening to other clubs. Speaking to one organiser who was having doubts about continuing with his event, I think a little bit of thanks and appreciation can go a long way to making them feel all the work is worthwhile.

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:13 pm

:angry: You state a letter of thanks would not go amiss, in fact every organiser gets a thank you letter for running an event in their organisers pack, the organisers packs are a task on their own and are being collated at this moment in time.

As for Ironbridge - Telford stated they were no longer interested in Slalom and would not be renewing their registration with the Slalom Committee. Another club did show an interest but had too many other commitments What about Hereford K.C. applying for 2009?

Jim

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:12 pm

If there is anything left of Jacksfield after the floods :(
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:36 pm

I went back to it in 2006 for the first time for about 20 years, and was surprised just how good a site it was for a division 2/3 slalom. Probably the best in the country at that level. I was really disappointed last year when it was cancelled. It is a long way from us, but I would consider going for it if no-one else is putting their head above the parapet.

Pingu

Post by Pingu » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:18 pm

I have been a (fairly non-active) member of TCC since Kinver Canoe club folded in 2001. My membership lapsed last April and so I don't have any real connection with the Club any more.

I haven't been to the site though since the 2006 slalom. The last I heard was that the site was closed so that the subsidence of the road and the riverbank into the river could be sorted out.

Following the discussion on the message board, I went along on Sunday to have a look.

The site is completely surrounded by secutity fencing and major works are still going on. The area immediately below the road has been stabilised, landscaped and looks finished. The rest of the canoe club area is still a building site but it seems that it will be greatly improved when it is finised. A lot of trees have been removed and much of the ground has been levelled. I think that access to the river will be a lot easier in future and there should be more usable space for camping, parking, etc.

After a word with the security guard, myself and Chris & Natalie Neale (remember them) were allowed to park outside the gates and take our boats through to the river.

The Severn was at a very high level (and very, very cold). The beach was about 3m under water and the waves, river right, were fantastic. There was though still a really big eddy above the beach. At first sight most of the rock-filled gabions had disappeared from the far bank but it might have been that they were underwater. Not sure.

That's what I have always really liked about this site. whatever the river level, summer or winter, there is always a massive eddy that is safe for novices and also a series of interesting waves to play on.

We had a really enjoyable hour on the water. It really is a very good site and we would look forward to working with the Club, and others to help run future slaloms.
Out of Darkness cometh Light

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:34 pm

Why has Telford CC stopped hosting slaloms? Ironbridge was my very first slalom (and very first competitive 50!). It would be a shame to think another great slalom site has gone the way of so many others (Red Locks, Darley Abbey, Hambleton, Sharnbrook etc etc)

youngatheart

Post by youngatheart » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:41 am

The answer to your question Paul is in the previous posts! It is at the end of the day having clubs willing to organise events. As you can also read there is another club showing an interest to take it on

Other reasons why events are lost are for example Hambledon
- rebuilding of weirs so not slalom friendly, Sharnbrook - access problems.

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:18 am

Youngatheart,

sorry, no it doesn't. It simply says they are no longer interested in slalom. That's a symptom not a cause. Nevertheless, let me rephrase my question:

Does anyone know the underlying reasons why TCC is no longer interested in slalom and will not be renewing their registration?

I'd really like to know why a club previously committed to slalom is now stopping in entirety. To me, this is very worrying, especially as another fantastic venue looks lost.

PhilG

Post by PhilG » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:50 pm

Chatting to contacts in the Engineers Dept at Telford Council, the 2nd phase of works are due to start beginning of April and be completed by December.

katonas

Post by katonas » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:33 am

jim croft wrote::angry: You state a letter of thanks would not go amiss, in fact every organiser gets a thank you letter for running an event in their organisers pack, the organisers packs are a task on their own and are being collated at this moment in time.

As for Ironbridge - Telford stated they were no longer interested in Slalom and would not be renewing their registration with the Slalom Committee. Another club did show an interest but had too many other commitments What about Hereford K.C. applying for 2009?

Jim

Not quite sure why my posting would have aroused any anger. A letter, is not quite the same as every competitor appreciating and being considerate towards organisers. My comments are general, and do not apply to any one event, but are merely a reminder for all, including myself.

As I am the only paddler from Hereford KC to have gone to any slalom last yr, and likely to be the same this yr, I don't think Hereford KC would be interested in organising further events.