Question About Prem Slaloms - Dumb Question

Discuss past and future events
PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:45 pm

Just a dumb question really, but trying to work out if its cost effective for me to judge prem events prior to a Div 1. If I judge, is there free practise before the event for officials or do you just get the 2 timed runs like those actually ranked in Prem? I suspect its the latter but you never know.

Cheers

PB

Dave Royle

Post by Dave Royle » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:57 pm

Unfortunately, there is no strict rule there.

Quite often Judges will be allowed an official practice run or even free practice.

Sometimes, at selection races for example, free practice is discouraged.

Best to try and contact the organiser in advance if practice is important to you. Even then, the organiser may feel this is an issue for the Jury to decide and with no guidelines on the subject, their decision might go either way.

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks Dave,

I'll do as you suggest. Just don't think I can justify the travel for 2 runs, which, without any practise, will probably not do me too much good.

Cheers

PB

Ray

Post by Ray » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:51 am

A problem I have had in the past, especially at Town Falls, is that though there has been free practice for judges, there has been no one else looking to practice. Thus as I would be the only one on the water I have decided against getting on.

PaulBolton

Post by PaulBolton » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:33 am

I wonder if it would be possible to state within the on-line schedule what practise for officials is allowed at which prem events. Could save a few emails being sent to busy organizers and might encourage wider participation at those events that give either free or official practise.

Just a thought.

PB

Kayakin Rosie!

Post by Kayakin Rosie! » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:28 pm

Unfortunately free practice does not always take place as seen at todays Bala Div1. Left home at 0630 in time to get there for 0830 & free practice (only my 2nd day on Bala - yesterday being 1st !! - so I wanted some practice) only to find it was cancelled.