Bala slalom - Camping

Discuss past and future events
Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:27 pm

I gather that the field usually used for camping at Bala is now waterlogged and can't be used. Does anyone know somewhere inexpensive for camping or a B&B in the area?

Before I put my entry in (for a 1 day competition) I want to make sure that it is not going to cost me an arm and a leg (which I will need for paddling!!!).

Thanks

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:08 pm

We use Tyn Cornel , it isn't that cheap but the facilities are spotless.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:45 pm

Michelle, try the campsite on the Tryweryn, there is also a Bunkhouse in Bala and quite a few B&B's in the village and around.

Cheers

Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:24 pm

Argggggggggggg... (I start singing the song from Mission Impossible!). The bunkhouses I have contacted are full and the campsite (Tyn Cornel) is very unflexible about late arrivals so we can't get in there.

Damned the field being closed :-(

Any other ideas?

Is the "campsite on the Tryweryn" mentioned about different from Tyn Cornel?

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:38 pm

Ah, camping NOW finally sorted - thanks for all your help!!!

Now, if anyone happens to have a C1 lying around on Sunday that they could spare please let me know... Unfortunately there is not enough room on the car for mine so it is being abandoned :-(

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi Michelle,

Dave Radmore's racing on the Sunday and just might be taking his demo boats with him, especially if you ask him nicely.

Mark
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:39 am

Thanks for the info everyone. I eventually ended up staying at http://www.penybont-bala.co.uk/html/the_site.html as the woman at Tyn Cornel would not let us arrive after 10pm (which is difficult when you live near London and have a job to do!). The owners of the campsite were very accomodating and even stayed up late to keep the gate open for a bit longer for us. Oh, and the shower block was nice and clean :-)

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:10 pm

Have any photos been uploaded yet? Seemed to be veritable paparazzi on the falls?