Free Beer II - or European Vet Champs 2009

Discuss past and future events
djberriman

Post by djberriman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Anyone else thinking of going to the 2009 European Vet Champs?

I see free beer is once again on offer for competitors!!!

Course pics etc www.rakokanoe.cz

Training Thursday/Friday Morning
Giant Slalom Friday Afternoon (thats my sort of slalom!)
Individual Slalom Saturday
Team Slalom Sunday

Its an easy drive from Prague and boat carriage on the plane was about £15 each way as I remember. Some camping on site, nearby hotels and camp sites available. Its possible to paddle down/up river to and from the main camp site to the course.

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:50 am

??? Please note all entries must go though Slalom Administrator, with a £5 registration fee, closing date for this event 10th June
Jim Slalom Admin

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:05 am

Of course!

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:28 pm

Yes, I am thinking of going to this. Took me ages to find out the right information about it though! Its in the same country and on the same weekend as a round of the ICF World Champs just 25 miles away. The link on the front page of the slalom uk website currently takes you to the wrong event!

This seems to have cloudied the waters a bit regarding the involvement of the BCU and I am still waiting for a reply to several emails on the subject. Other than politely notifying the BCU that I plan on attending, I just dont see why I have to get its blessing! So far I have been told I cannot enter as I do not accord with the rule book!

Hmpf! Im only the 2008 Vets Champion (pointless as that is) so the idea of me going to a European Vets Championship should be a bit elementary I would have thought? But no, confusion reigns with the organiser saying "You can start without any nomination on ESC 2009 in Roztoky" and the BCU saying firstly I have to accord with the rules in the Yearbook and then that I need to enter via the BCU! Accordingly, until qualified, the comment above stating that entries must go through the BCU after crossing its palm with silver, will be ignored.

It seems nobody knows anything about it other than the organiser (who I am now in touch with directly) and nobody seems interested in answering my emails on the subject. I will probably just turn up as it seems nothing to do with the BCU anyway:-) If it is, maybe someone in a position of authority will enlighten me? :-)
Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!

jim croft

Post by jim croft » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:52 am

??? Come on Peter I have told you enough times the correct procedure.
Jim

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:22 am

...and it is pretty easy to find in the year book (p39) where it is quite clear that you need to contact the Slalom Administrator!
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:33 am

You just need to send Jim your details and your £5 and he will sort out your entry. Worked sweet as a nut last year.

If you need any details for the event let me know as I went last year.

Training Thursday
Giant Slalom Friday (6 gates, 2 of which are ups as I remember), sprint course basically with free Beer.
Individual Slalom Saturday
Team Race Sunday

Camping near by (or at the course it seems), hotel not far away, driving/car hire is easy from the airport, boats could be transported by air for £15 each way last year. Remember to book a roof rack if you take this option!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:41 am

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks for that DJ. All info about this event is welcome but I am still struggling to see what it has to do with the BCU.

This is the first email from the Slalom Admin:-

Peter

This is the only information I have, the event in Prague is a world Series event you would not be able to enter that event as there is a strict criteria read page 32 in the Slalom Yearbook second Para.
Regards Jim

The enclosed document was about the Senior Champs 2009 in Roztoky and the advice was therefore wrong as it related to an entirely different WR event. I ponted this out but still no specific answer.

This is the second email from the Slalom Admin:-

Peter

Attached is the International Panel Statement read Item 3).
Also Attached is the ICF World Ranking Series Calendar although they are listed as Class C Internationals they are subject to the International Panel Criteria
Regards Jim

The enclosed document related wholly to the World Ranking Series and is totally irrelevant as this event is not on it. So I am still in the dark.

Still seems to me that the BCU have no idea what this specific event is about and I still see no reason to tell it if I am entering or to pay it a fee for any reason whatsoever.

I was getting nowhere domestically so I contacted the organising club and got this response:-

"Hi, I am looking on your web www.canoeslalom.co.uk. It is a very big mistake on your web. In our country are two competitions on the week - 19.-21.6. The first is in Prague - ICF Slalom Ranking World Cup 2009, on the Vltava River in Troja. And the second is in the Roztoky by Křivoklát - European Senior Cup 2009, on the Berounka River. This competition is for veterans - 35 years and older (Křikoklat Slalom Racing is free competition for young competitors on the same place in the same time). We have a 3 categories: Veteran Junior (35 - 45 years old), Veteran (45 - 55 years old) and Veteran Senior (55 years old and older). You can start without any nomination on ESC 2009 in Roztoky. We send the proposition on Tuesday. You can look at the www.rakokanoe.cz, here are the information about ESC 2008 with results http://rakokanoe.sw4people.cz/efdetailr ... 312&id=799 .
If you have any problem or question, you can send me e-mail.

Sorry, my English is not good.

Radka Bacakova - KK Rakovnik"

This clearly stated that what was being advertised here was not the right event. The event seems to be a club event with the organisers invitation stating "Canoeing Club Rakovník invites all senior competitors age of 35 years and over to take part in European Senior Cup held on our artificial slalom course (WW I - II.) on the Berounka river."

I have no idea of the basis or standing of the "European Senior Cup" referred to. This is not noted as a Class A, B or C International and is unrelated to the ICF. The largest text on the invitation relates to "FREE BEER" and I doubt that any self respecting canoeing organisation will therefore recognise this as an international event! Rather priceless when you consider this against the last half of page 38!! lol. Brilliant! We dont want you getting lagered up and bringing the sport into disrepute but when you arrive you can drink as much free alcohol as you like for the whole weekend! Free spirits too for Members of the ICF maybe? I doubt it.

It seems to be a club run event for Veterans from any location and there seems to be no selection procedure requirement. Indeed, it seems to be a really brilliant event for people like me and the several Brits I saw on last years results sheet! That is why I am considering going this year. The invitation allows me to enter directly by providing my details via email and paying 5 Euro. I simply do not see any requirement for the involvement of the BCU at this specific event. Oh, unless it is a Class A, B and C Internatiol where that stands for Alcohol, Beer and Champagne of course :-)

I need someone to point me to legislation or committee decisions in print before I shell out a fiver to the BCU here :-) The response I am getting from the Slalom Admin and from the Committee Chair is zilch! Nada! Nix! Nienta! Nothing! Thank goodness for this Forum as it proves that at least the BCU is still there! I had no intention of plastering this all over the Forum but IGNORING my emails leaves me no alternative

In summary:-

1. I have not only not been told enough times but I have not yet been told once

2. It is not pretty easy to find in the Yearbook

3. It is not quite clear that I need to contact the BCU

So, my initial query remains....

When its all clear, hopefully the information here from DJ and the organisers and me will assist those who wish to attend. Here's hoping anyway :-)

TOG

Post by TOG » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:35 pm

I'm really enjoying this; please continue. :D

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:23 pm

I really wish the people I am endeavouring to get a reply from were as enthisiastic at replying as you Tog! :D Yes ...please do continue!

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:00 pm

It appears Nick has just linked to the wrong web site. A simple mistake or confusion for a busy web master.

It is as far as I know simply a club putting on an event which mainly attracts competitors from countries in that region. Last year a number of brits went along (12 I think). I think that surprised them as much as us but it was good fun, yes friday is not too serious hence a free beer, clearly no one would go all that way for a couple of free beers.

A very relaxed event with a party on site on the saturday night.

There is no qualification, anyone can enter and it has no standing other that what it is as far as I understand.

My understanding is that all entries should go through Jim.

I wasn't sure last year why I had to pay the BCU £5 either but in the end we all did and Jim sorted out the entries. Suggest you contact Jim to clarify the £5 charge.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:17 pm

I did....still waiting for a reply :-)

djberriman

Post by djberriman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:22 pm

"Peter Parker - 12 gate courses are plenty long enough!"

You will enjoy the giant slalom then!

Dee

Post by Dee » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:03 pm

Peter,

I have always had very prompt replies from Jim about anything and everything I have asked - and believe me I have asked him lots of questions!

Maybe he believes he has answered your question or has never received it. It might be worth re-asking your question privately - not through the boards - and making it clear what your question is. From my own experience, I'm sure if you have a genuine question (as opposed to a rant) then Jim will reply.
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!