England Pan Celtic + Div 1/2 - June 6th & 7th @ HPP

Discuss past and future events
Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Wed May 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Entries for the above event are arriving daily in ever increasing numbers. I thought it best therefore to advise everyone entering this event that any entries that haven't been received by this Saturday 23rd May will be classed as late and the increased entry fee will apply. I will also be publishing a start list based on the entries received by this date, as I am away in Nottingham all next week supporting the Euros. Anyone attending the Euros can hand their entry to me rather than posting it, but a late fee will still apply (sorry).

Race info has been published for the event under its calendar entry on the UK Slalom front page. Please read this before emailing me.

Mark.
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:19 pm

I still need bibs for Officials & Guests/Invitations for this event. If one of the England clubs could supply these for the event then that would be appreciated. Please either call or email me to confirm details.

Also, I am still after helpers for the Saturday, paddlers who are not entered for the Pan Celtic and are prepared to do demo runs on the Saturday (8:15am), and officials for the Sunday. If you are able to help out then please get in touch.

Thanks,
Mark
The above is the personal opinion of Mark Shaw and does not reflect the views of either the BCU or England Slalom Committees.

Dadstaxi

Post by Dadstaxi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:26 am

Why such an early start Sunday morning?
Those that are travelling up for the day / not wishing to stop over from Saturday are going to have an extremely early start Sunday morning. Understand there is a lot to get through. Earliest I've know a slalom to commence.

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:49 pm

Sorry. The weekend favours those stopping over from Saturday through to Sunday, as free practice is available for the Div 1/2s on the Saturday evening. I know this isn't practical for everyone and a number will travel just for the day, but I also need to make certain that the event finishes at a sensible time so that the volunteers have time to dismantle the course after the event on the Sunday and be home for a sensible time.

Mark.

Dee

Post by Dee » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:53 pm

Appreciate that you don't want to finish too late but timetable currently has a 7am start and 4 am finish. My personal preference would be to start and finish and hour later on Sunday (even at the risk of running an hour late). This would not be an unreasonably late finish by any means.

I wonder how many people will decide to forgo practice runs?

Obviously a personal thing and no criticism of Mark intended, but I would be curious to know what others think. Are Dad's taxi and I the only ones who would like to stay in bed a bit longer?

Perhaps running a regional event alongside a div 1 and a div 2 is just too much?
Kit Washer, Entry Clerk, Chauffeur, Reluctant Organiser, Online Entry Advocate .....
Anything I post under this user is my personal opinion; I am not posting as a member of the Slalom Committee!

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:40 pm

Dee wrote:Perhaps running a regional event alongside a div 1 and a div 2 is just too much?

Hi Dee

There are 29 Regional competitors so that is about an hour and half's worth of paddling plus the teams (20) one hour twenty so say 3 hours of regional comp plus a pretty full entry for the Div1/2 does make a lot of sense to start early, but I too would like to stay in bed a bit longer, I don't get up for work that early in the morning :;):

I don't think that the regional event on it's own would warrant an event on its own with that amount of entries?

Cheers

Graeme
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Mark Shaw

Post by Mark Shaw » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Constructive suggestions always welcome. Currently thinking of dropping the Div 2 event for next year and just making it a straight Div 1 with Inter Regionals.

Mark

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Just think of the timing guys that I guess will have to be very early to sort things out?!? Lucky us!?!

Anyway, as I have a meeting to get back in time for I am not complaining!

Mark, are you accepting late entries on the Sunday?

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:07 am

Mark

It may fit in better with the Open at Washburn on the Saturday September date, unless it needs to be held at HPP, which would leave HPP as a Div1/2?

Cheers

Graeme

80-1219672301

Post by 80-1219672301 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:45 am

Well whatever you decide to do in the future the Scots are very appreciative on an earlier get away so thank you!

Again its a personal thing but another different example my drive time back is 8 hours and the Aberdeen guys have an additional 2 hours on top of that.

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:01 pm

I'll be around on Sunday Mark, if you need a hand with anything.
Donna.
Life is what happens when you're making other plans.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:51 pm

If anyone would like to help with safety cover over the weekend, please come and find me at the Looping Pool.

Cheers Graeme

Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Would you believe that it is sunny down south?!? Not that we have dried off yet :p

chauffeur

Post by chauffeur » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:06 pm

Hi Muchkin
NW had hardly any rain! Wrong place to be in Notts today!!

Mega thanks to all those who did turn and judge and do any job in the awful conditions!! : :D :D :D

The course was being closed due to conditions.

Fantastic amount of paddlers turned out - that was brill, showed the following in the sport.

dsamartin

Post by dsamartin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:54 pm

:D :D Can you believe it the North East was also warm and dry!! Only the Washburn event can rival the amount of rain and I don't think any other event was as windy--umberellas were of no use whatsoever!!!
Well done to all those who played an active part over the weekend in very difficult conditions--it was especially inspiring to see the gate judges turning up to do 'their stint' in the most appalling conditions today!!