Tees

Discuss past and future events
Munchkin

Post by Munchkin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:44 am

Does anyone know if the Tees whitewater centre is going to be open for the Tees slalom?

I figure it is too cold to camp at that time of year so would like to book a hotel, but don't want to lose money by booking then the event being moved!!!

NathanF

Post by NathanF » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:33 pm

I have heard though the grapevine that the slalom will not be being held at tees white water centre but will be down the falls at abbey rapids. This may just be a rumour though.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Why not just email Sue Martin her email address is on the main site that way you would get the right info, rather than playing guess work?
Paddle fast,,,Paddle safe Yorkshire Canoe Coaching

Carlr

Post by Carlr » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:51 am

I think Sue is still away on holiday.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:44 pm

Carlr wrote:I think Sue is still away on holiday.
Good point, so I rang the TWWC today and they told me they were shutting from the 13 September, but they could not say when they are reopening.

They did say that there was talk of moving it to Abbey Rapids, but could not confirm, Abbey is great in big water levels should prove interesting if it goes there.

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:25 pm

From the front page

Tees Barrage Premier Race 8 and Division 1 Cancelled

The Slalom Committee hope to find a new site for this event, but it will not go ahead at the Tees Whitewater Course

Well that answers that question, next one where and when?

Dadstaxi

Post by Dadstaxi » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:17 pm

Excuse my ignorance on this one BUT....

1. Wasn't Tees supposed to have been closing immediately HPP reopened from its refurbishment thus reopening in time for the Oct race?
2. Hasn't this event been booked with the course since early this year?
Therefore what recompence / arrangements are Tees WWC going to give the BCU / the Organisers given their inability to fulfill their part of the contract to utilise the course and find a suitable alternative. Couldn't they have delayed the closure (they have already left it 6 months) another 3 weeks to allow the races to be run before closing. Or is it a case of 'well the rafting season has finished lets shut it down' regardless of the canoe/kayaks but hey in our publicity blurb we'll say we offer the opportunity for great white water training when in fact they actually couldn't give a "rats *76%$" about kayak/ canoe over rafting. Should we hold an event here in the future if this is their attitude - and I know someone will say "we have to get the funding spent before the end of the FY" ... but there is still 6 months between October & March!! Just my thoughts!!!... and not meant to offend anyone - just to prevoke debate (and perhaps someone to seriously think about whats taken place!)

dsamartin

Post by dsamartin » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:39 pm

Hi everyone, as seen posted on the front page, the Tees Barrage event has been cancelled due to renovation of the course--I believe that the delay in commencing the work has been due to procedural complications during which time Tees Active, took over the management of the course.

Thus far I have received the following entries:

PREM

Kimberley Woods
Hannah Burgess
Gwar Evans
Rosie Bate

DIV 1

Beth Miles
Sam Miles
Danielle Johnson
Samantha Owen
Philippa Hipkiss
Becky Heath

Fraser McKenzie

Can all of the above please advise me whether they are happy for me to shred their entries or if they wish them to be returned.
Cleveland Canoe Club would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused and they look forward to hosting the 2010 event on the newly renovated course

Sue Martin

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:26 pm

As we only have 9 prem events it is good news that the slalom committee are looking for an alternative venue for the tees event which has been cancelled due to untimely course closure for renovation. In view of the fact that it is only six weeks away and we have to have entires in two weeks earlier to avoid late entry fees have the slalom committe been able to find an alternative venue, the paddling fraternity need to know asap ???

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:50 am

Kazz wrote:As we only have 9 prem events it is good news that the slalom committee are looking for an alternative venue for the tees event which has been cancelled due to untimely course closure for renovation. In view of the fact that it is only six weeks away and we have to have entires in two weeks earlier to avoid late entry fees have the slalom committe been able to find an alternative venue, the paddling fraternity need to know asap ???
Here Here :;):

Yes it would be nice to know if an alternative venue is available for the same date or whether the date may have to change as well which may mean that it clashes with other commitments that paddlers all ready have.

With the weather as it is at the moment, I am guessing HPP would be the best bet for water levels?

Anne

Post by Anne » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:54 am

The Slalom Committee are working as hard and as fast as they can to secure an altenative venue - be patient hopefully will be announced after this weekend!

Kazz

Post by Kazz » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:50 pm

great news the prem event to to be run on abbey rapids, after a great 2/3 earlier this year it should be good :)

Nicky

Post by Nicky » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:55 am

Right, access got confirmed yesterday adn the race was announced.

This is a fantastic opportunity to race on this excellent site so get your entries in as soon as possible.

More information will follow shortly, and I'll be at Interclubs and Washburn if you want to give me entries rather than post them.

There'll be camping on site, but nothing fancy.

I'll try and get something put together later today.

Nicky

Geebs

Post by Geebs » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks Nicky and well done for getting the event up and running.

Cheers

Graeme

Flyhigh3

Post by Flyhigh3 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi

I've heard from a PDO that the Tees Barrage is now open until late October!.... but will the prem/Div 1 still be staying at Abbey Rapids now that it's sorted.....?
thanks
Flyhigh