Orton Mere Div 3 / 4 MAY 17th & 18th

Discuss past and future events
GreenPeter

Orton Mere Div 3 / 4 MAY 17th & 18th

Post by GreenPeter » Tue May 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Entries coming in, 11 days to go.

Proteus Canoe Club's site is on the River Nene in Peterborough, on the outskirts of Ferry Meadows and about 2 miles from Peterborough town centre. From the car park walk over the railway line and the club hut is just on the left.
Orton Mere is located in Nene Country Park with lots of walks, cycle ways and sailing. There are 2 golf courses a few miles away. There is a rowing lake 1 mile away. It is 3 miles to Queensgate shopping centre. Another attraction for the family is Nene Valley steam railway that runs alongside the river with a station next to the car park.

Orton Mere is a great family friendly slalom with camping on site and it is good for spectators who can view the whole course from one spot. Camping is on the north side of the river Nene and it is possible to drive around to unload – Collect the key for the gate and instructions from the club on the south side of the river. Portaloos will be available on site and we will ensure there is fresh water available on site.

Team runs on Saturday.

Access is great as it is located just off the A1 or A47.
The site is accessed off Oundle Road (A605) in Orton Longueville – South of the river Nene: Postcode PE3 6SG (South side of river) (TL 164972) and is part of Nene Park.
Come and join us!

Canadian Paddler

Re: Orton Mere Div 3 / 4 MAY 17th & 18th

Post by Canadian Paddler » Wed May 07, 2014 8:28 am

This year will see the fortieth anniversary of my first dabble at slalom. Who me? old? :wink:

So if you want to know if I can still get the old creaky bones into a proper boat, (despite all the protective travel wrap :oops: ), come along and find out.
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.
Old. Fat. Slow. Bad tempered. And those are my good points

GreenPeter

Post by GreenPeter » Wed May 07, 2014 12:25 pm

40 years of slalom!
This special occasion must be celebrated by 40 timed runs around the course.
So that’s 20 C2 entries please, don’t think that will qualify for a multiclass discount though as its only one class.
Special dispensation to take creaking bones into account we will let you have 10 entries each day.
And no I’m not getting into a C2 I’m not 40 till next year
:D

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Wed May 07, 2014 1:04 pm

Well CP - congratulations looks like we have something in common after all :lol: First school pool training Oct'73, river trip Apr'74, I think slalom was Comrie in Sept'74. Promoted from Novice to Div B C2 during 1975, ....

Won't join you at Orton Mere, but for some reason (probably because I am old, have a boat and will be there!) they want me to represent Scotland in the Pan Celtic at HPP this weekend :shock:

Best wishes from one BOF to another

Craig

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Wed May 07, 2014 2:10 pm

GreenPeter wrote:40 years of slalom!
This special occasion must be celebrated by 40 timed runs around the course.
So that’s 20 C2 entries please, don’t think that will qualify for a multiclass discount though as its only one class.
Special dispensation to take creaking bones into account we will let you have 10 entries each day.
And no I’m not getting into a C2 I’m not 40 till next year
:D
Genius idea - I am happy to be one of the 20 C2 partners but I think the long suffering Mrs CP should be the first!!!

Mrs C P Paddler

Post by Mrs C P Paddler » Wed May 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Absolutely no way on this earth am I getting into a boat :!:

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe » Wed May 07, 2014 11:04 pm

Wimp!

Mrs C P Paddler

Post by Mrs C P Paddler » Thu May 08, 2014 4:52 pm

:wink:

Slapdash Sal

Post by Slapdash Sal » Thu May 08, 2014 9:23 pm

You can count me in for a C2 run - Sounds fun. My ribs seem much better, so fingers crossed!
I suppose you'll need to spread your runs out over the 2 days!

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Tue May 13, 2014 10:51 am

Too out of practice for forty runs, might aim for forty gates. . . . .
All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new and improved ways of spelling old words. Grammatical errors are due to too many English classes/teachers.

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Tue May 13, 2014 3:39 pm

I know we keep reminding the youngsters that in the old days courses were much longer and had more gates - but never 40 gates... Or will that be 2 and a bit runs on a modern course?

GreenPeter

Post by GreenPeter » Thu May 15, 2014 12:46 pm

For all those who have not been to our site before, this is the best postcode to head for PE2 7DZ the post in the initial post is the closest to the campsite, but if you are camping still come to PE2 7DZ first to pick up the key for the gate.

Because we get 90% of our entries on the day, I have no start list prepared.
But here are some timings.

The course will be up by Friday afternoon and open for free practice.

Saturday, free practice till approx 9:30, then organised practice till 12 noon. First runs will start at 12 noon and sencond runs wiil start at approx 2:30, but this dependant on the entries we recieve. If time allows we will have a team event after the individuals on Saturday.

On Sunday everything will start one hour earlier. No team event on Sunday.

I have booked the sunshine for the weekend :D

Canadian Paddler

Post by Canadian Paddler » Thu May 15, 2014 5:14 pm

Green Peter has as good tryping as me some times!

Seedy, I was thinking of ten attempts at the course, if I do it in groups of four gates, with some restarting I might just have the energy to look slow, and get the gates. No way I could last a 'proper' course, even if I could turn my neck enough to do a reverse gate! :cry:

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Sun May 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks for the event guys. GF managed to practice her swimming, and has now been promoted in her first C2 event.
Weather was great.
Now if you can just make that road a bit quieter at night for the next event that would be brilliant :lol:

Hydrasports

Post by Hydrasports » Sun May 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks to everyone at Proteus for a great event. We haven't been to a 3/4 race for a while and it was nice to see so many new paddlers starting out, a great club atmosphere, good coffee and plenty of sunshine! We'll definitely be back and hopefully paddling ourselves again next time.
Sales@hydrasports.co.uk
www.hydrasports.co.uk
Twitter @hydrasportsuk
Facebook.com/hydrasportsuk