Grandtully div 1 and Pan Celtic April 11/12th

Discuss past and future events
Chris Baillie

Grandtully div 1 and Pan Celtic April 11/12th

Post by Chris Baillie » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:29 pm

The Grandtully div 1 and Pan Celtic race on April 11/12th is already more than half full. Please do not book accommodation or travel without sending in your entry.
I will update at regular intervals the list of entries received under the event start list in the calendar on the canoeslalom website. There is also a waiting list for paddles up places.

The Pinkston div 1 and GB vet and J16 champs is also filling up quickly.

I am happy to receive entries for both events in the same envelope but 2 cheques please. I will not be cashing cheques until after the appropriate race.

Chris

Chris Baillie

Re: Grandtully div 1 and Pan Celtic April 11/12th

Post by Chris Baillie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:25 pm

Grandtully div 1/Pan Celtic Race Sunday 12th April
I believe the Sunday Race for the Grandtully Div 1/Pan Celtic Race is now full with a few spaces remaining on Saturday 11th April. I am planning to double check team sheets against individual entries in the next couple of days and will publish an updated list of entries accepted by the end of the week.

Any entries received after today will be added to a waiting list in order of receipt and I will e mail to let people know if they are taken off the waiting list.

Pinkston Div 1/GB Vet and J16 and under champs June 20/21
Entries for this race are coming in steadily and I would recommend you get your entry in before you make accommodation or travel arrangements.

waterbaby

Post by waterbaby » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:19 pm

Hey, Not sure if my maths is correct but I've checked it twice.

For the Sunday Div 1 Tully Race the following entries have been accepted:-
Div 1 entries 136
Non-Div 1 entries 66 (including 6 blank places)=(34%)
Total 202
The limit for the race is 220.
There are the following numbers of entries on the waiting list :- 17th - 15, 18th - 10, 19th - 9 = 34
So if the first 18 entries received on the waiting list (ie 15 from 17th & 3 from 18th) were accepted (202+18=220) the accepted entries would meet the 220 race limit.

It makes sense to me, but please correct me if I'm missing something & I would appreciate any comments
Thanks

Chris Baillie

Post by Chris Baillie » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Hi

I have been asked to work to a limit of 200 and that is what I am trying to do. The BC committee discussed what was a reasonable limit taking a number of factors into account and that is what was felt to be reasonable. Not sure why it says 220 in the year book but actually as it will be possible to have div 2 promotees by that date and as the number of those cannot be predicted almost invariably there will be slightly more than 200.

The numbers are changing daily with withdrawals from one or both days by at least one paddler a day and the version on the website is not being updated daily. For those that have included a legible e mail address on their entry card I am letting them know when they come off the waiting list. One withdrawal from a Scottish team member meant that no scottish selection was needed for that class. Some doing it were in div 1 and remain on the start list others were in prem so they did not need to paddle on Saturday. Scottish selection finishes after saturday's race so need to keep spaces in case a prem wins .

Following todays post there are over 30 on the waiting list for Sunday. I am aware that some on the start list hope, after U23 and junior selection in March to be heading for Brazil and some of these are in two classes so withdrawals can be expected for that reason alone let alone paddlers changing their plans, injury and illness.

Add to this the fact that I am taking entries for the Pinkston race at the same time which is also well over half full and it is almost a full time job. Perhaps naively I thought the Tully race would be out of the way before the Pinkston one kicked in. Last year I closed Tully entries about 10 days before the closing date, this time it was 6 weeks before the closing date and 8 weeks before the event.

If waterbaby wishes to write to me chrisbaillie62@gmail.com and explain the particular problem he or she has with the way I am working I will do my best to make it clearer.

Whether paddlers believe it or not I am trying to deal with this as fairly as possible in the situation I find myself in.

Chris

boatmum

Post by boatmum » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks Chris for the clarity

You are doing a great job (as are all the organisers who are facing the same pressures) under difficult circumstances and many thanks to all of you for keeping everyone so well informed, this never used to happen as clearly as now! Seems to me it is a pretty thankless task being an organiser as you cant please all of the people all of the time and inevitably folk will have issues, and concerns.

As someone said raised earlier, portable points next year can only make this situation more difficult going forward and demonstrates very clearly why clubs need to have the discussions about proposals then vote at the AcM.

A big thank you to all our event organisers and their teams

waterbaby

Post by waterbaby » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:32 pm

Sorry didn't realise it was 200 as it says 220, so that clarifies the situation. Thankyou

Chris Baillie

Post by Chris Baillie » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:38 pm

Hi

That's OK.

Not sure how 220 got in the yearbook unless there was an error on the application form. However the BCU slalom committee have made it clear it is 200.

Chris

ringorayner

Post by ringorayner » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:18 am

Just want to echo boatmum's comments - fantastic communication this year Chris - thanks and keep up the good work!